+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Status paying health contribution in Quebec?

DecisionMade

Sep 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was not a resident of Canada in 2011.. i was on visitor record..

so, i filed things for 2011 as a visitor. but then, Revenue QC decided that I should pay 100$+interests+late fee for health contribution during 2011?

and I only became a resident in Nov 2012, got my health card in Dec 2012. when I do my tax for 2012.. what kinda status should i put? i know that i can't say that i'm 92% visitor... and if they charge me again for health contribution for 2012, should I pay that too?

by the way, all the time i stayed in canada before I became a resident, I pay myself for all the medical costs..

vinlander

Dec 11, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
AOR Received.
21-02-2012
Med's Request
Done before request
Med's Done....
25-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012 OWP + AIP
LANDED..........
27-11-2012
DecisionMade said:
I was not a resident of Canada in 2011.. i was on visitor record..

so, i filed things for 2011 as a visitor. but then, Revenue QC decided that I should pay 100$+interests+late fee for health contribution during 2011?

and I only became a resident in Nov 2012, got my health card in Dec 2012. when I do my tax for 2012.. what kinda status should i put? i know that i can't say that i'm 92% visitor... and if they charge me again for health contribution for 2012, should I pay that too?

by the way, all the time i stayed in canada before I became a resident, I pay myself for all the medical costs..
I did my tax report for 2011 including my dependant wife that was not yet permanent resident (put a bogus sin in the software and and included an explaining letter) in order to get her personal credit transfered to me, which was substancial on both federal and Quebec tax report. Result: even if she had no right to quebec health and was not working she still had to pay that 100$ (revenu quebec confirmed that to me on the phone) but with what I could get back with her transfered credit I am not complaining. I will do the same for 2012 report since she did not work but this time we have her permanent SIN.
Furhermore I will try to claim as expenses her full year of private health insurrance for 2011-12.

blue7120

Jul 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
VEG
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec.2011
AOR Received.
March.2012 -- AIP ON SEPTEMBER 2012
Med's Request
September.2012
Med's Done....
Octobre.2012
vinlander said:
I did my tax report for 2011 including my dependant wife that was not yet permanent resident (put a bogus sin in the software and and included an explaining letter) in order to get her personal credit transfered to me, which was substancial on both federal and Quebec tax report. Result: even if she had no right to quebec health and was not working she still had to pay that 100$ (revenu quebec confirmed that to me on the phone) but with what I could get back with her transfered credit I am not complaining. I will do the same for 2012 report since she did not work but this time we have her permanent SIN.
Furhermore I will try to claim as expenses her full year of private health insurrance for 2011-12.
+1, same as mine...
with her temp sin card, save about 4k tax...

DecisionMade

Sep 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinlander said:
Thanks for your reply!! I called them today too.. and yeahhhhh I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT !
it's weird..that i gave all the private insurance stuff to the accountant, and he said we can't do anything about it ! AND I DON'T THINK THE ACCOUNTANT TRANSFERRED MY CREDITS TO MY HUSBAND..

What's the software you are using? i'm gonna do the 2012 soon. so, my husband can count me as a dependent or should i be independent?

vinlander

Dec 11, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
AOR Received.
21-02-2012
Med's Request
Done before request
Med's Done....
25-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012 OWP + AIP
LANDED..........
27-11-2012
DecisionMade said:
Thanks for your reply!! I called them today too.. and yeahhhhh I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT !
it's weird..that i gave all the private insurance stuff to the accountant, and he said we can't do anything about it ! AND I DON'T THINK THE ACCOUNTANT TRANSFERRED MY CREDITS TO MY HUSBAND..

What's the software you are using? i'm gonna do the 2012 soon. so, my husband can count me as a dependent or should i be independent?
It is not as a dependant per see I declared her, but we just did a joint tax report.
Impot rapide (even the one online) let you choose to do a joint tax report which we did.
That way I could add her 0$ revenu to mine and also have her personal credit transfered to me.
However both tax reports hers and mine are still sent and separate in the end. However for provincial the software did not let me send through the net I had to print the file (because of the fake SIN). Federal processed it online as is.
She had to pay the 100$ on her own tax report which we did later at the bank.