+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor status about to expire, extension application status is still OPEN

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
My mom's visitor status is about to expire on Nov 5 (6-months in Canada).

I already applied for a visitor's visa extension for her last Sep 19. Status now on the CIC MyApplication site is "OPEN."

CIC says the average processing time is 59 days.

That means we shouldn't expect a decision before Nov 5.

1.) Will my mom have an "implied status" after Nov 5 and will still be considered "legal" if she's here, while waiting for a decision?

2.) Suppose she gets rejected, will she have been illegally overstaying from Nov 5 up to the decision date? Or will there be a grace period to buy a ticket out of Canada? How will this affect her coming back here to Canada again (she has a multiple entry visa)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Yes - she will have implied status and can wait for a decision from within Canada.
2) She will be in Canada without status from the date on which she received the refusal and should leave Canada within 30 days of receiving the decision. If she leaves within 30 days of receiving the decision - she should have no issues re-enter Canada in the future. However if she is refused an extension - then she should remain outside of Canada for 6-8 before attempting another visit.

Nov 2, 2016
Hi there,

I am in some sought of similar situation as you. My mother's visitor visa will expire in about 2 months and I will be applying to CIC to extend her stay for another three months. Could you please let me know what are the documents that I need to submit beside the application forms? I believe a letter of explanation she needs beside the cover letter. Is that correct? Do I also need to write an invitation letter as I did previously when we applied for her visitor visa.

Also,can I apply online from myCIC (the account which is on my name on CIC website)? Or do I need to create a new account for her.

Please let me know.

Much thanks,

buliwyf said:
My mom's visitor status is about to expire on Nov 5 (6-months in Canada).

I already applied for a visitor's visa extension for her last Sep 19. Status now on the CIC MyApplication site is "OPEN."

CIC says the average processing time is 59 days.

That means we shouldn't expect a decision before Nov 5.

1.) Will my mom have an "implied status" after Nov 5 and will still be considered "legal" if she's here, while waiting for a decision?

2.) Suppose she gets rejected, will she have been illegally overstaying from Nov 5 up to the decision date? Or will there be a grace period to buy a ticket out of Canada? How will this affect her coming back here to Canada again (she has a multiple entry visa)?

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
roychoudhurysaurav said:
Hi there,

I am in some sought of similar situation as you. My mother's visitor visa will expire in about 2 months and I will be applying to CIC to extend her stay for another three months. Could you please let me know what are the documents that I need to submit beside the application forms? I believe a letter of explanation she needs beside the cover letter. Is that correct? Do I also need to write an invitation letter as I did previously when we applied for her visitor visa.

Also,can I apply online from myCIC (the account which is on my name on CIC website)? Or do I need to create a new account for her.

Please let me know.

Much thanks,
I just created a new MyCIC account for her, and set the email address to my email address.

There's a checklist of documents there too, so I just uploaded what's listed there.

Nov 2, 2016
Hi there,

I will be applying for an extension of my mother's visitor visa. Her visa expires on January 4th. We will be going outside Canada (India) in mid February for a family function.Can she leave Canada while her visa extension application still in process? (she will probably be on an implied status then I believe)I am considering this possible circumstance based on the duration of processing time at this moment.

Thanks for your help.

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
Ok, I got a reply from CIC:

"These medical instructions are being issued since your application has been processed to the stage
where medical examination results are now required. Please read these instructions carefully.

IMPORTANT: You are required to undergo the medical examinations within 30 days of the date of this
letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application..."

Huh? Isn't this requirement for a Super Visa application?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
roychoudhurysaurav said:
I will be applying for an extension of my mother's visitor visa. Her visa expires on January 4th. We will be going outside Canada (India) in mid February for a family function.Can she leave Canada while her visa extension application still in process? (she will probably be on an implied status then I believe)I am considering this possible circumstance based on the duration of processing time at this moment.
Implied Status ends when a person leaves Canada; the extension app is considered abandoned.

She will be examined as a new visitor if she returns to Canada.

buliwyf said:
"These medical instructions are being issued since your application has been processed to the stage
where medical examination results are now required. Please read these instructions carefully.

IMPORTANT: You are required to undergo the medical examinations within 30 days of the date of this
letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application..."

Huh? Isn't this requirement for a Super Visa application?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp

If you plan to visit for more than six months:

You will need a medical exam if you:

- have lived temporarily for six or more consecutive months
- in one or more of these countries or territories
- in the one year immediately before the date you want to enter Canada. (This applies even if you are a citizen of a country that does not need a visa to enter Canada.)

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
Today, the status changed to "CLOSED," final decision to "APPROVED."

OK... Shouldn't they've kept the status OPEN while waiting for the medical exam results? They asked for a medical exam Nov 8, then Nov 9 they changed status to CLOSED / APPROVED.

I just booked the earliest date for a medical exam with a panel physician (Nov 17), then I estimate they'll be able to send the results to CIC after a few days.

I assume CIC will give actual details (like explain "approved" lol) about the visa status after that?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
buliwyf said:

OK... Shouldn't they've kept the status OPEN while waiting for the medical exam results? They asked for a medical exam Nov 8, then Nov 9 they changed status to CLOSED / APPROVED.

I just booked the earliest date for a medical exam with a panel physician (Nov 17), then I estimate they'll be able to send the results to CIC after a few days.

I assume CIC will give actual details (like explain "approved" lol) about the visa status after that?
That's normal. They have approved the extension contingent on the medical being done. If the medical isn't done, the extension will be revoked.

Nov 2, 2016
Thanks for your reply.

Is it necessary to submit optional/additional documents as well for the extension of visitor visa (when applying online)? For example, letter of explanation? And is there an approximate balance you need to have in your bank account?

Please let me know,
Thanks.

Implied Status ends when a person leaves Canada; the extension app is considered abandoned.

She will be examined as a new visitor if she returns to Canada.

Paramhooda

Jul 3, 2017

Hi there my mom came on TRV In May 2018 and she got no stamp on so we assume her status expires in Nov 2018 after six months
I applied for extension in Sep 2018 and haven’t heard anything yet
So is my mom’s status is illegal? Or implied status ? Can she stays until she hears back ? Or can she leave country being on implied status ?
Please let me know
Thanks

Paramhooda

Jul 3, 2017
That's normal. They have approved the extension contingent on the medical being done. If the medical isn't done, the extension will be revoked.
Hi there my mom came on TRV In May 2018 and she got no stamp on so we assume her status expires in Nov 2018 after six months
So is my mom’s status is illegal? Or implied status ? Can she stays until she hears back ? Or can she leave country being on implied status ?
Please let me know
Thanks

Paramhooda

Jul 3, 2017
1) Yes - she will have implied status and can wait for a decision from within Canada.
2) She will be in Canada without status from the date on which she received the refusal and should leave Canada within 30 days of receiving the decision. If she leaves within 30 days of receiving the decision - she should have no issues re-enter Canada in the future. However if she is refused an extension - then she should remain outside of Canada for 6-8 before attempting another visit.
Please let me know
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Please let me know
Thanks
Implied Status. She can stay while waiting for a decision. If she leaves, she will be evaluated as a new visitor when she returns.