+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor record while waiting for outland spousal PR

Liveinthepresent

Mar 10, 2020
Is there anyone here that has their spouse in Canada with a visitor record (extension of visitor visa) while waiting for outland spousal PR decision? Curious to know how long you have been waiting? We are 20 months into our PR application and receive our visitor record this week. Not sure if this will help push a decision on our PR application or give IRCC an excuse to delay another year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is there anyone here that has their spouse in Canada with a visitor record (extension of visitor visa) while waiting for outland spousal PR decision? Curious to know how long you have been waiting? We are 20 months into our PR application and receive our visitor record this week. Not sure if this will help push a decision on our PR application or give IRCC an excuse to delay another year.
Visitor record should have no impact on your sponsorship processing. The fact that we don’t have close ties to Cuba for things like background information delays Cuban applications. There is also higher rates of immigration fraud in applications from Cuba so there is more scrutiny of applications. You are very lucky that your spouse has been able to join you in Canada. That is pretty rare.

Liveinthepresent

Mar 10, 2020
Visitor record should have no impact on your sponsorship processing. The fact that we don’t have close ties to Cuba for things like background information delays Cuban applications. There is also higher rates of immigration fraud in applications from Cuba so there is more scrutiny of applications. You are very lucky that your spouse has been able to join you in Canada. That is pretty rare.
I am lucky. We have passed everything except background check. Most who have applied same time as myself already have PR. Many got visa to do medical here then received PR within a month (IRCC finally realized how unfair it was for Cubans to have to leave country to do medicals). VO will not respond, IRCC will not release GCMS notes (ordered in may), OIC not responding to complaint made in July. I am aware there are a lot of others in backlog, but we should at least have the right to our information (which we do, legally).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am lucky. We have passed everything except background check. Most who have applied same time as myself already have PR. Many got visa to do medical here then received PR within a month (IRCC finally realized how unfair it was for Cubans to have to leave country to do medicals). VO will not respond, IRCC will not release GCMS notes (ordered in may), OIC not responding to complaint made in July. I am aware there are a lot of others in backlog, but we should at least have the right to our information (which we do, legally).
Not sure why you haven’t received GCMS notes. I would ask your MP to follow-up on why you haven’t received the notes of you ordered them in May. There was backlogs which resulted in processing times of around 3 months for GCMS notes but it seems to have gotten better. Unclear what the complaint in July is about so can’t provide any insight. Every application is different so you can’tcompare processing times and expect all Cuba sponsorships to be the same. I am sure many of the spouses were denied TRVs. It does sound like your application is being processed just very slowly. Cuban applications are often longer than average.

Liveinthepresent

Mar 10, 2020
Not sure why you haven’t received GCMS notes. I would ask your MP to follow-up on why you haven’t received the notes of you ordered them in May. There was backlogs which resulted in processing times of around 3 months for GCMS notes but it seems to have gotten better. Unclear what the complaint in July is about so can’t provide any insight. Every application is different so you can’tcompare processing times and expect all Cuba sponsorships to be the same. I am sure many of the spouses were denied TRVs. It does sound like your application is being processed just very slowly. Cuban applications are often longer than average.
Complaint was to the Office of the Information Commissioner for not receiving GCMS notes. They too are now not responding (and no, I am not bombarding them with questions :) )

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Complaint was to the Office of the Information Commissioner for not receiving GCMS notes. They too are now not responding (and no, I am not bombarding them with questions :) )
Not familiar with wait times for OIC since a complaint isn’t that common. I would contact your MP about the delay in receiving GCMS and other delays. They can’t change anything but usually can look into what’s going on.