+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Record Refused While Waiting for LMIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is my story: the 1st licensed agent applied for VR before my wp expired and he said that I had to to wait for result of VR, I could not apply for a wp although LMIA letter approved. When my VR refused he said I still had 90 days to restore but I am out of status at the time my VR refused. I felt that he don't have much experience to deal with difficult cases so I found the 2nd licensed agent who has many experience with complicated cases. He said I could apply for wp before my wp expired with explanation letter and then we would submit a LMIA letter approval later. It's much better than applying for a VR :(
Yes, your case is almost the same. I think you should discuss with your lawyer again about applying for the work permit with LMIA receipt first in order to prevent out of status (if the VR refused). I am not sure at this step.

About processing time of LMIA, you can check at: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/labour-market-impact-assessment-processing-times.html

It says that "from when it is received by Service Canada to when the decision letter is sent to you"

You can push your lawyer, ask them to call Service Canada weekly to check the status.

Hope it helpful.
Without an approved LMIA you couldn’t apply for a new closed work permit and get implied status. What they are suggesting is not following the IRCC rules. We’re they suggesting. You work for the employer while waiting for the LMIA application results and and WP results?

Mourd

Jun 9, 2023
I got my LMIA approval yesterday..
I need to apply for a closed work permit, do I need to do medical now or I can perform later ? And how long wp takes nowadays ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I need to apply for a closed work permit, do I need to do medical now or I can perform later ? And how long wp takes nowadays ?
You can do a medical upfront. If you are in Canada, about 4-6 months. What is the NOC? Does the NOC require ECA and IELTS?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

An employer would have their LMIA approved. LMIA approval is not related to specific potential employees. You will need to plan on around 6 months to hear about whether your WP has been approved or denied.

Mourd

Jun 9, 2023
An employer would have their LMIA approved. LMIA approval is not related to specific potential employees. You will need to plan on around 6 months to hear about whether your WP has been approved or denied.
Do I need to provide explanation letter for home ties or no need ? Provided I am already in Canada.

secondly I have applied for visitor record, my status will expire on July 15, I applied 30 days before. Do I need to withdraw my application for visitor record before submitting the work permit .?

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
Congratulations on your LMIA approval!

You do not need to do a medical exam immediately after receiving your LMIA approval. You can wait until you are closer to the time when you will be applying for your work permit. However, it is important to keep in mind that the medical exam is valid for only 12 months, so you will need to have it done again if it expires before you are able to apply for your work permit.

The processing time for a closed work permit can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the type of work permit you are applying for, the location of your employer, and the current processing times at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). However, in general, you can expect the processing time to be between 4 and 6 months.

Here are some tips to help you expedite the processing of your closed work permit:
  • Make sure that all of your documents are complete and accurate.
  • Pay the application fee online.
  • Submit your application by mail or in person at a visa application centre.
  • Track the progress of your application online.
I hope this helps!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do I need to provide explanation letter for home ties or no need ? Provided I am already in Canada.

secondly I have applied for visitor record, my status will expire on July 15, I applied 30 days before. Do I need to withdraw my application for visitor record before submitting the work permit .?
You need the visitor record. Applying for a new WP does not give your implied status in Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand applying for work permit give me an implied status, isn’t?
It would only give you implied status if you had applied to extend a previous work permit or applied for a work permit while still on a valid study permit. You would need to submit your application before the first permit expired.

Reactions: TinkerBell10

TinkerBell10

Jun 3, 2023
It would only give you implied status if you had applied to extend a previous work permit or applied for a work permit while still on a valid study permit. You would need to submit your application before the first permit expired.
It means he needs to wait for the result of VR and then he can apply for a wp later? I did like this. After I got VR refusal, I had applied for the wp. I now don’t know what status I am

Hoangpham3348

Dec 13, 2023
my case almost same, my status expired and applied for VR in June, my LMIA submitted on May 12 and until now no news. Checking with my lawyer he says still on system shows in quei for assessment and process didn’, moreover he is saying promising time mention in EDSC website count from date of processing not date of submission .. I think he is playing with me. is it ?

I dont know what to do, i am afraid I got refusal for VR before the LMIA approval comes.
Any suggestions based on your experience now ?
How did you go from not knowing the status of your application on Jun 28 to LMIA approval on Jul 02? I am in the same case and wondering what to do in those 4 days to get the result so fast. It seems like for some reason my lawyer still waiting to pay for the fee even though the file was submitted beginning of October.

Gill deep

May 27, 2018
How did you go from not knowing the status of your application on Jun 28 to LMIA approval on Jul 02? I am in the same case and wondering what to do in those 4 days to get the result so fast. It seems like for some reason my lawyer still waiting to pay for the fee even though the file was submitted beginning of October.
hello bro what is update about your case ,have you received your lmia or not ,because my case is also same as you ,pls reply