+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor record extension

andybrownahm

Jan 7, 2020
Hi, need some guidance. My parents arrived on visitor visa in jan 2020 right before covid hit, we applied for extension in june. we just got an extension response 2 days back and they are now authorized to stay till 12th feb 2021. We got this response on 14th Jan and so we have less than 30 days to apply for another extension. Now when i try to apply for another extension, mycic does not allow me to proceed and gives an error on submitting the application imm5708. I am guessing this is because there are less than 30 days left till the expiry of visitor record. Under these circumstances, would i be able to submit for another extension, if so now? if the only option is to apply for restoration of status, would it have any impact on their future travels to canada?

Appreciate any inputs provided.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, need some guidance. My parents arrived on visitor visa in jan 2020 right before covid hit, we applied for extension in june. we just got an extension response 2 days back and they are now authorized to stay till 12th feb 2021. We got this response on 14th Jan and so we have less than 30 days to apply for another extension. Now when i try to apply for another extension, mycic does not allow me to proceed and gives an error on submitting the application imm5708. I am guessing this is because there are less than 30 days left till the expiry of visitor record. Under these circumstances, would i be able to submit for another extension, if so now? if the only option is to apply for restoration of status, would it have any impact on their future travels to canada?

I don't think that's the reason for the error. The 30 days is just a guideline and not a rule. Many / most people apply for an extension with fewer than 30 days remaining. I would review the application again to see if there's something else you may be entering incorrectly.

Reactions: kool_buddy

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019

I applied the second extension at 10 days prior to expiry. As mentioned above, the 30 days is just the guideline, you can submit the extenstion till the last day but not after that.

andybrownahm

Jan 7, 2020
Thank you guys. i have made sure the questionnaire is filled correctly and the application is filled correctly and have done it multiple times and still get this error. I am out of my wits now, have tried this multiple times and every time i get this error.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you guys. i have made sure the questionnaire is filled correctly and the application is filled correctly and have done it multiple times and still get this error. I am out of my wits now, have tried this multiple times and every time i get this error.
Maybe list your responses to each question here?

It's definitely not the 30 day thing. You can apply to extend on the day the visa is expiring. People do it all the time.

You really want to extend in time rather than being in a position where you need to apply for restoration.

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
What's the error message?

andybrownahm

Jan 7, 2020
Maybe list your responses to each question here?

It's definitely not the 30 day thing. You can apply to extend on the day the visa is expiring. People do it all the time.

You really want to extend in time rather than being in a position where you need to apply for restoration.
Here, hope you find something!!

What would you like to do in Canada?
Visit
How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily - less than 6 months
Select the code that matches the one on your passport.
IND
What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
Canada
Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
Yes
What is your date of birth?

Have you lived in Canada as a permanent resident or landed immigrant?
No
Modify my Answers
Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) number?
No
Modify my Answers
What is your current immigration status in Canada?
Temporary Resident Permit Holder
Modify my Answers
When does your temporary resident permit expire?
February 12, 2021
How long was your Temporary Resident Permit valid for?
6 months or longer
Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?
Yes
Modify my Answers
Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
Yes
Modify my Answers
Do you want to submit an application for a family member?
Yes
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
What country does your family member live in?
Canada
Which country issued your family member's passport or travel document?
IND
Is your family member a permanent resident of the United States who has an alien registration card (Green Card) or other proof of permanent residence?
No
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
What is your family member's current marital status?
Married
What is your family member's date of birth?

Where will your family member be staying in Canada?
Ontario
What is your family member`s current immigration status in Canada?
Visitor
Modify my Answers
What does your family member want to do in Canada?
Apply to remain in Canada as a visitor
Modify my Answers
Does your family member want to restore their status in Canada?
No
Modify my Answers
Has your family member had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
Yes
Modify my Answers
In the past 10 years, has your family member given their fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for an application to come to Canada?
Yes
Modify my Answers
There are fees associated with your family member's application. Will you be paying your family member's fees, or is your family member fee exempt?
Yes, I will be paying my family member's application fees.
Modify my Answers
Do you want to submit an application for another family member?
No
Modify my Answers
Are you giving someone access to your application?
Yes, both appoint a representative and grant authorization to IRCC to release information to another person.
Modify my Answers
Did your representative give you a submission letter?
No
Modify my Answers
In the past 10 years, have you given your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for an application to come to Canada?
Yes
Modify my Answers
There are fees associated with this application. Will you be paying your fees or are you fee exempt?
Yes, I will be paying my application fees.
Modify my Answers
Are you able to make a digital copy of your documents with a scanner or camera?
Yes
Modify my Answers
Will you be paying your application fees online? To pay online, you can use a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, China Union Pay) or a debit card (Visa Debit, Debit MasterCard or Interac).
Yes

andybrownahm

Jan 7, 2020
This is the error message:

Upload a file

The form could not be submitted because errors were found.
Error: We couldn't upload your file.

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
Are you sure about this? I don't think it's correct

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/temporary-resident-permits.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5554-applying-remain-canada-temporary-resident-permit-holder.html#5554E2

A TRP is a document that authorizes a person who is inadmissible or does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or Regulations either as a temporary resident or as a permanent resident to enter or remain in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Here, hope you find something!!

Visit
IND
What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
Canada
Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
Yes

No
Modify my Answers
Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) number?
No
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
When does your temporary resident permit expire?
February 12, 2021
How long was your Temporary Resident Permit valid for?
6 months or longer
Yes
Modify my Answers
Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
Yes
Modify my Answers
Yes
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
Canada
IND
Is your family member a permanent resident of the United States who has an alien registration card (Green Card) or other proof of permanent residence?
No
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
Married

Ontario
Visitor
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
No
Modify my Answers
Has your family member had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
Yes
Modify my Answers
In the past 10 years, has your family member given their fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for an application to come to Canada?
Yes
Modify my Answers
There are fees associated with your family member's application. Will you be paying your family member's fees, or is your family member fee exempt?
Modify my Answers
No
Modify my Answers
Yes, both appoint a representative and grant authorization to IRCC to release information to another person.
Modify my Answers
No
Modify my Answers
In the past 10 years, have you given your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for an application to come to Canada?
Yes
Modify my Answers
There are fees associated with this application. Will you be paying your fees or are you fee exempt?
Modify my Answers
Yes
Modify my Answers
Will you be paying your application fees online? To pay online, you can use a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, China Union Pay) or a debit card (Visa Debit, Debit MasterCard or Interac).
Yes
agree that really parents aren’t temporary resident permit holders. What are the other options?

andybrownahm

Jan 7, 2020
Yes, i have tried all of it, have changed the questionaire multiple times with visitor as well and it gives me same error

andybrownahm

Jan 7, 2020
Visit
IND (India)
Canada
Yes

No
Modify my Answers
No
Modify my Answers
Visitor
Modify my Answers
How are you related to your family member?
Parent/grandparent
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
What is your marital status?
Married
What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
Ontario
Yes
Modify my Answers
When does your status in Canada expire?
Date
February 12, 2021
Modify my Answers
Yes
Modify my Answers
Yes
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
Canada
IND (India)
No
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
Married

Ontario
Visitor
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
No
Modify my Answers
Yes
Modify my Answers
Yes
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
No
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
No
Modify my Answers
Yes
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
Yes
Modify my Answers
Yes

andybrownahm

Jan 7, 2020
Upload a file

The form could not be submitted because errors were found.
Error: We couldn't upload your file.