+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor record extension refused

fish0a0

Sep 17, 2015
I applied for a visitor record extension for my mom on Feb 11, it got refused today. Her status was expired on April 8. And the letter says she need to leave immediately if the status has already expired. But the problem is, it’s hard to buy a flight ticket and it’s not safe to travel under this covid situation. Can anyone help me about how to restore my mom’s stay? Thanks very much.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I applied for a visitor record extension for my mom on Feb 11, it got refused today. Her status was expired on April 8. And the letter says she need to leave immediately if the status has already expired. But the problem is, it’s hard to buy a flight ticket and it’s not safe to travel under this covid situation. Can anyone help me about how to restore my mom’s stay? Thanks very much.
Maybe share the reasons that were given for the refusal and someone might be able to make a useful comment.

Reactions: asaeed100

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Information on applying for restoration is here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html

fish0a0

Sep 17, 2015
Maybe share the reasons that were given for the refusal and someone might be able to make a useful comment.
Thank you, here is the refusal letter:

Based on your application and accompanying documentation that you have provided, I have carefully considered all information and I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Your application as requested is therefore refused.
Persons wishing to extend temporary resident status in Canada must satisfy an officer that they will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay, that they will not contravene the conditions of entry and that they do not belong in a category of persons inadmissible to Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
In reaching a decision, an officer considers several factors, which include the applicant’s:
1. Reason for original entry and reason for requested extension;
2. Ties to country of permanent residence, including:
- employment and study commitments;
- family ties and responsibilities;
- status (citizenship or immigration status);
3. Financial means for the extended stay and return home;
4. Travel and identity documents;
5. Probability to leave Canada at the end of authorized stay.
After considering all the circumstances of your case, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations.
You must leave Canada on or before the expiry of your current document or, if your document has already expired you must leave Canada immediately. Failure to do so could result in enforcement action being taken against you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you. This might be the only option.
It's the only option if you want her to stay. There is nothing else she can apply for. She is out of status in Canada right now.

Reactions: bellaluna

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
Hi,

I am also in the same position. Are you currently in contact with an immigration lawyer? Any success?

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
It's the only option if you want her to stay. There is nothing else she can apply for. She is out of status in Canada right now.
Sorry to take over this forum but I am also in the same boat. My common law partner is Chinese, we were in tears when we saw this refusal and I am also worried for his health and safety There are currently very limited flights to China. The flights have transits through HK and Taiwan. Currently, the flights with layovers have been cancelled in Taiwan and HK has stopped flights connecting to mainland China. My partner couldn't go back even if he tried. What are the options?

For Taiwan:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2020/03/22/taiwan-suspends-intl-transit-stops-at-airports-to-curb-coronavirus-risk/#21ba60a129ef
I also called the airport and they mentioned there are no layovers for mainland Chinese.

For Hong Kong:
Transit restrictions
In this first phase, transiting to and from destinations in Mainland China is not available.
All sea-to-air ferry services (Greater Bay Area to Hong Kong) and air-to-sea ferry services (Hong Kong to Greater Bay Area) are also suspended.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_NP/travel-information/travel-preparation/travel-advisories/travel-restrictions-for-passengers-travelling-to-transiting-through-hong-kong.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry to take over this forum but I am also in the same boat. My common law partner is Chinese, we were in tears when we saw this refusal and I am also worried for his health and safety There are currently very limited flights to China. The flights have transits through HK and Taiwan. Currently, the flights with layovers have been cancelled in Taiwan and HK has stopped flights connecting to mainland China. My partner couldn't go back even if he tried. What are the options?

For Taiwan:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2020/03/22/taiwan-suspends-intl-transit-stops-at-airports-to-curb-coronavirus-risk/#21ba60a129ef
I also called the airport and they mentioned there are no layovers for mainland Chinese.

For Hong Kong:
Transit restrictions
In this first phase, transiting to and from destinations in Mainland China is not available.
All sea-to-air ferry services (Greater Bay Area to Hong Kong) and air-to-sea ferry services (Hong Kong to Greater Bay Area) are also suspended.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_NP/travel-information/travel-preparation/travel-advisories/travel-restrictions-for-passengers-travelling-to-transiting-through-hong-kong.html
It's hard to comment without understanding your specific situation. Details are important.You need to provide them if you want help.

What was refused? A visitor visa extension? When was it refused?

Have you applied for PR yet through common law sponsorship?

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
Thank you for replying!

His visitor visa extension was refused and we got the same message as the person above. It was refused June 5.
We applied in December but application was sent back because Chinese documents were missing. Due to the coronavirus situation he was unable to obtain the Chinese documents. He still had Visitor status at that time so I immediately applied to extend his visitor visa (visitor record). We got refusal in June, there was no email sent we had to log in to the account and find it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for replying!

His visitor visa extension was refused and we got the same message as the person above. It was refused June 5.
We applied in December but application was sent back because Chinese documents were missing. Due to the coronavirus situation he was unable to obtain the Chinese documents. He still had Visitor status at that time so I immediately applied to extend his visitor visa (visitor record). We got refusal in June, there was no email sent we had to log in to the account and find it.
In that case your only option is to apply to restore his status.