+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor record expiry and extension of stay

tdurai

Dec 21, 2013
Hello,
Hoping someone can advise me of any options in this case.

My mother-in-law is staying with us for more than 6 months and so applied for her extension of stay (before the expiry of her six month period). She has visa till Mar, 2019. Maximum of six months extension was requested in the application when i applied for her on May 15,2018. I postponed her flight to Oct 10 so that she can fly with my wife and my 2 kids on the same flight, same day. Flight tickets for everyone have been booked for Oct 10. We received the visitor record but unfortunately, the visitor record expires by Oct 1.

So, what we do now?

a) do i have to apply again for her extension one more time?
b) Can she do border crossing (flagpoling) and stay till Oct 10?

Any other options or advise if you have experienced similar situations. Your reply or help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Waiting for your reply.

Thanks,

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
So, what we do now?

a) do i have to apply again for her extension one more time?
She must apply for another extension before her current status on the visitor record runs out. She will be on implied status when she leaves on October 10.

b) Can she do border crossing (flagpoling) and stay till Oct 10?
Not advisable. She could be refused entry in a worst case scenario

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also would recommend your MIL remain in her home country for 6+ months given that you asked for another extension after asking for 6 months and being given less. Usually indicates that CIC feels that your MIL is spending too much time in Canada.

Reactions: Naname