+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Record and travel to the USA

citysky

Jan 29, 2022
Good day all,

I am currently waiting for Express Entry draws, and due to my work permit expiring next week, I will be applying for a visitor record. I wanted to travel to USA to see my loved ones before or after getting my ITA and applying. Am I allowed to re-enter Canada from the USA with just a Visitor Record or not?

Based on the wording on this page, it seems that USA is exempt and I can use visitor record for re-entry without having a valid visa : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/return.html
Travelling outside Canada
A visitor record says that you have visitor status in Canada and how long you can stay.
It doesn’t guarantee that you can leave and then re-enter Canada.
If you plan to travel outside Canada or the United States, you must meet our entry requirements to return to Canada.

Thank you and your input is appreciated!

WaitingUSAtoCAN

Jul 28, 2023
"you must meet our entry requirements to return to Canada"

Please note I have very negative experiences with Canada Border Security Agency (CBSA). As an American who dated a Canadian national (married now to him) and traveled back and forth quite often before the pandemic. I don't want to fear monger but the quote here as well "It doesn’t guarantee that you can leave and then re-enter Canada." really means something.

From my research there are three golden documents PR card, valid work permit and of course Canadian passport. One of these three are enough to clear border suspicions of the following:

1) You can stay in Canada as long as your job is active, your not going to work in Canada unauthorized because you have a valid work permit
2) If you have a Canadian passport then they only care about a few other things
3) If you have PR card you have the right to live and work here so they just have to question the same things as someone with a Canadian passport

Unfortunately on a travel visitor record you do have a super visa but it means you have to prove that your going to respect the same things that a regular tourist traveling across the border would need to be cleared for:

1) Honoring the date of expiration/not overstaying

for this one if you are currenting applying for the ITA then you need to bring proof of this and have the timeline on you

2) Officer needs to have faith that the individual on visitor record is not going to be taking up employment illegally and without permit (if you have a family member in Canada who can provide a proof of funds in case an officer gets caught up on this and that family member is okay with providing in case of emergency or funds then please use this if needed)

3) IN general the meet entry requirements means like all the clear things no drunk driving record, not wanted for any crimes back home stuff like that
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/reasons.html

Please do note I am not a lawyer, I don't have experience with ITA. The only experience I have is that I did have a visitor record and traveled on it about 3 times past the border. You should be fine but don't expect it to be easy and not without it's risks. All cross-border travel when you don't have one of the 3 golden documents can be tricky.

If you want to take the risk, be pre-pared to answer questions. Also good luck with TRV/visitor record processing.

Reactions: thefirstyeet