+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor needing a passport renewal and question about work permit

CanadianGirl593

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
Hello, so my partner is currently living with me in Canada, but he is a resident from the UK and he has a Latvian passport that expires next year but we need to renew it before then because we are planing to apply for common law sponsorship and a work permit this year. We were told that the work permit last for 2 years or less depending on if your passport expires before the 2 year mark. So we need an early passport renewal because when we apply for the work permit his passport will expire before the 2 year mark which will shorten his work permit.

But the problem with renewing his passport is the Latvian Embassy in Canada says we have to travel to them which is on the other side of Canada so I was wondering if my partner is allowed to travel within Canada on a visitor extension permit?

The Embassy also said that they would be visiting our part of Canada next Summer time and they could renew his passport then but the problem is we plan to apply for our common law sponsorship and his work permit at the end of this year so we can't wait for them to come to us.

So I was wondering if we were to apply for a work permit before renewing his passport and if we got the work permit until his passport expires, and then during the time he has the work permit if we were to get his passport renewed before the work permit expired, could we then extend the work permit to the normal 2 years without any extra fees? Or would we have to pay for a new work permit?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.