+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor in canada can visit US for 3 days?

Kylie

Star Member
Dec 27, 2013
Hi,

Mom got single entry visit in canada, she landed here last April 20.We are planning to visit US for 3 days this coming July 2016, We have interview on june for our US temporary visa. My question is, is there any problem on my mom re-entry in canada again? She has only single entry. I hope this would be fine as we want her to come with us.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
This should be allowed for re-entry into Canada. But try to have your mom mention to the CBSA officer about her plan for a quick US visit, because when I entered Canada on a single-entry TRV, the officer immediately marked my TRV with a pen and voided it. I'm not sure if the marked TRV would be recognized for reentry, or if it is voided.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
bellaluna said:
This should be allowed for re-entry into Canada. But try to have your mom mention to the CBSA officer about her plan for a quick US visit, because when I entered Canada on a single-entry TRV, the officer immediately marked my TRV with a pen and voided it. I'm not sure if the marked TRV would be recognized for reentry, or if it is voided.
problem with this is that the mom is already in Canada so would assume has already used the single entry so may not be allowed back in should she leave whether 3 days or months.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
It should be allowed, and I don't think the 3 days in the US would exceed the original authorized stay:

Here is the rule as stated on the CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=527&top=16

Single-entry temporary resident visa

If you have a single-entry temporary resident visa, you will generally need a new single-entry visa to come back to Canada.
You can request to return to Canada on your original single-entry temporary resident visa, if:
you will only visit the U.S.
or St. Pierre and Miquelon; and
you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.
I guess the link also answers my question about the voided/expired TRV.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Bs65 said:
problem with this is that the mom is already in Canada so would assume has already used the single entry so may not be allowed back in should she leave whether 3 days or months.
Technically your mom can visit US and request to return to canada even if she has a single entry canadian TRV (which has obviously been used once she had already entered into canada.

you can read further from the following CIC website links:-
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=527&top=16

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=417&top=16

Hope it helps

Kylie

Star Member
Dec 27, 2013
Hall inputs, links and your ideas helps my question...

One more question.....Do i need to request a return letter in cic or do we just need to show moms passport in point of entry? No other paper to show?

Thank you so much for your help....

Kylie