+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Extension

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Bryanna / @canuck78

My mother is in Canada on an expired TRV.

I know that TRV expiry date only matters when you enter Canada. And the length of stay depends on what CBSA officer gives at POE.

Do you know if we can apply for TRV within Canada?

That way, it becomes easy to go to home country for a vacation and enter Canada back.
You need to change your attitude or apply for PGP (or at least supervisa). TRV is not meant for spending most of your time in Canada. Your mother is coming to Canada on vacation and is returning to her home country to live. If she spends a large portion of her time in Canada you will find that CBSA will start limiting the amount of time she can stay in Canada and not give her the full 6 months and you may get some extensions or it could be denied. You are using tbe wrong programs. If her TRV has expired this is thr perfect time to return to her home country and apply for the supervisa. Also look to see if you qualify for the PGP next year.

Toronto-Citizen

Oct 11, 2017
You need to change your attitude or apply for PGP (or at least supervisa). TRV is not meant for spending most of your time in Canada. Your mother is coming to Canada on vacation and is returning to her home country to live. If she spends a large portion of her time in Canada you will find that CBSA will start limiting the amount of time she can stay in Canada and not give her the full 6 months and you may get some extensions or it could be denied. You are using tbe wrong programs. If her TRV has expired this is thr perfect time to return to her home country and apply for the supervisa. Also look to see if you qualify for the PGP next year.
I am planning to apply for SuperVisa for sure.

I am still wondering if it is possible to apply for TRV from within Canada, for a visitor.

I know that people on Work Permit and Study Permit can do that.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Bryanna / @canuck78

My mother is in Canada on an expired TRV.

I know that TRV expiry date only matters when you enter Canada. And the length of stay depends on what CBSA officer gives at POE.

Do you know if we can apply for TRV within Canada?

That way, it becomes easy to go to home country for a vacation and enter Canada back.
No, she cannot apply for a new TRV from within Canada.

I would recommend that she returns to her home country..... waits for some months (6-8 months) before you apply for a super visa for her

Toronto-Citizen

Oct 11, 2017
No, she cannot apply for a new TRV from within Canada.

I would recommend that she returns to her home country..... waits for some months (6-8 months) before you apply for a super visa for her
Is it accurate to say that Visitors cannot apply for TRV from within Canada?

However, I know that students and foreign workers always apply for TRV from within Canada.

Can you clarify this please?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Is it accurate to say that Visitors cannot apply for TRV from within Canada?
That's correct. Visitors cannot apply for new TRVs from within Canada. They must apply from their home country/ country of residence/ from another country where they have legal immigration status (it would be difficult to prove their strong ties for the last category).

However, I know that students and foreign workers always apply for TRV from within Canada.
Yes, students and foreign workers can apply for new TRVs from within Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think you are getting confused. You would be allowed to apply for a TRV extension as a visitor to Canada but your TRV is expired.

Bam0130

Star Member
Jul 19, 2017
Hey just got visitor extension approved . August 15th 2017 here . ;)

Btw they dropped the time to 102 Days now.
Congrats. Did you apply online? Did they require another medical exam even if they had medicals done from their country under supervisa application? Was your medical insurance one year or 2 years? I asked 12-24 months extension in the cover letter since the medical insurance is only for a year. I believe the the app form the end of stay date is just a year away not the 2-yr...i applied jan 18 and still waiting for approval..

Betabr

Mar 21, 2018
I got my acceptance letter last week. Applied for visitor extension on September 22, 2017 right before my visitor status expired on the 27th.
My extension is until September 30, 2018 so basically I got a year extension.
Hi, just curious because I had this doubt when I asked for my extention. Did you ask them for 1 year extention with what reason in the letter?

Christyohhh

Sep 22, 2017
Mississauga, ON
Hi, just curious because I had this doubt when I asked for my extention. Did you ask them for 1 year extention with what reason in the letter?
I only asked for 6 months extension with the reason of spending more time with my husband and son since they're both Canadians and also stated in my letter that we were in the process of applying for sponsorship.

Reactions: Betabr

mohsenfar

Star Member
Sep 30, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
18/01/2017
Passport Req..
10/03/17
Hi to all. My brother has a question regarding his visitor visa. He needed to renew his passport in which he had his visitor visa. In the new passport there is no visa for Canada. But the visa he has in his expired passport is still valid. Is that visa still valid?
Does he need to apply for a new visitor visa?
thank u for your response in advance.

Last edited: