+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Extension to become a Permanent Resident

NordLord

Mar 2, 2018
Hi, my long term goal is to move here with my girlfriend. I am originally from America. I've visited plenty of times and I have currently been here for a little over five months. To my understanding, the process I am going through involves needing to stay here for 12 consecutive months so that she may sponsor me as her common-law partner in the eyes of the process.

I have entered the country via ferry with an Enhanced ID in August and have been trying to work on getting the extension so that later this year we can fill that permanent resident application out- but everywhere I read I feel as though there are more things I should be including when I send this application to extend my stay in.

On the website - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-change-conditions-extend-stay-visitor.html - I have filled out IMM5558 and IMM5708 and have paid for the fee online and printed the receipt out. Upon reading through the visitor extension guide, IMM5551, there is further details about guarantors letters and full details about wanting to stay longer.

Firstly, I am here living in my girlfriend and her parents home. I imagine the guarantors letter would be filled out by her parents as they are paying for all of my expenses, bless them, and they would explain their financial situations and their willingness to financially support me. There are no financial difficulties with my circumstances. Is there anything else I need to know about this in particular? More things to include?

Secondly, as for the details about wanting to stay longer, am I supposed to explain my intentions for becoming her common law partner? How many details should I be involving about my long term plans for the process? I feels as though if I included a document about those plans, I would not be able to include my plans and intentions for leaving the country as requested within IMM5551.

Thirdly, what else needs to be sent along? So far this totals two documents filled out (again, IMM5558 and IMM5708), a receipt for the extension fee, a guarantors letter explaining my expenses are paid for, and then my details for wanting to stay longer.

Thanks for the help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, my long term goal is to move here with my girlfriend. I am originally from America. I've visited plenty of times and I have currently been here for a little over five months. To my understanding, the process I am going through involves needing to stay here for 12 consecutive months so that she may sponsor me as her common-law partner in the eyes of the process.

I have entered the country via ferry with an Enhanced ID in August and have been trying to work on getting the extension so that later this year we can fill that permanent resident application out- but everywhere I read I feel as though there are more things I should be including when I send this application to extend my stay in.

On the website - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-change-conditions-extend-stay-visitor.html - I have filled out IMM5558 and IMM5708 and have paid for the fee online and printed the receipt out. Upon reading through the visitor extension guide, IMM5551, there is further details about guarantors letters and full details about wanting to stay longer.

Firstly, I am here living in my girlfriend and her parents home. I imagine the guarantors letter would be filled out by her parents as they are paying for all of my expenses, bless them, and they would explain their financial situations and their willingness to financially support me. There are no financial difficulties with my circumstances. Is there anything else I need to know about this in particular? More things to include?

Secondly, as for the details about wanting to stay longer, am I supposed to explain my intentions for becoming her common law partner? How many details should I be involving about my long term plans for the process? I feels as though if I included a document about those plans, I would not be able to include my plans and intentions for leaving the country as requested within IMM5551.

Thirdly, what else needs to be sent along? So far this totals two documents filled out (again, IMM5558 and IMM5708), a receipt for the extension fee, a guarantors letter explaining my expenses are paid for, and then my details for wanting to stay longer.

Thanks for the help.
Hi

1. Yes, a letter from them confirming they are supporting you.

2. Yes, state that you are applying for the extension to become common-law and apply for sponsorship.

3. Follow the checklist.

NordLord

Mar 2, 2018
Thanks for the fast response.

I have followed the checklist but I am here just to confirm everything as I am often forgetful. For instance, as I was looking at this a few weeks ago, I was only aware of the Document Checklist (IMM5558) which does not include a letter stating purpose for extending my stay, which is included in the Guide 5551.

If anyone cares to double check me, I am currently including IMM5558 and IMM5708, a receipt for my fee (100$), photocopies of my Enhanced ID and my birth certificate, a letter from the people who are covering my expenses, and a letter from me about my stay extension being so that I can become common law partners with my girlfriend.

Also I have remembered another question as I mention my Enhanced ID- on document IMM5708 there is a section for my passport. I have used all of my information from my Enhanced ID to fill this out including country of issue, issue date, and expiry date, but I am not sure what to put as the passport number because this is not a passport. There is a license number which I have put there temporarily but I am not sure if this was correct.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the fast response.

I have followed the checklist but I am here just to confirm everything as I am often forgetful. For instance, as I was looking at this a few weeks ago, I was only aware of the Document Checklist (IMM5558) which does not include a letter stating purpose for extending my stay, which is included in the Guide 5551.

If anyone cares to double check me, I am currently including IMM5558 and IMM5708, a receipt for my fee (100$), photocopies of my Enhanced ID and my birth certificate, a letter from the people who are covering my expenses, and a letter from me about my stay extension being so that I can become common law partners with my girlfriend.

Also I have remembered another question as I mention my Enhanced ID- on document IMM5708 there is a section for my passport. I have used all of my information from my Enhanced ID to fill this out including country of issue, issue date, and expiry date, but I am not sure what to put as the passport number because this is not a passport. There is a license number which I have put there temporarily but I am not sure if this was correct.
Not sure about extending with the enhanced ID. Note that you will require a passport to apply for PR, so I suggest you get on that.