+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Extension Refused After She Already Left, Need Help!

MarriedUSA

Dec 7, 2019
Hi,

Sort of a unique situation we are in, and could use some help.

I am a Canadian citizen married to an American wife since February 2018. We've intended to get the Inland Permanent Residence package off but just haven't gotten around to it. We have always been 100% honest with the CBSA and CIC, as we never wanted to ruin our chances.

Long story short, we have been applying for Visitor record extensions for the past 18 months. We had no idea there was a time or quantity limit on this kind of thing, and were doing it simply to maintain her status and give the government a record to go on.

We decided to leave for vacation with her parents in the US in early November. Around the 15th, after she had left, she received her refusal letter for her last Visitor record extension. The refusal letter was your generic template with reasons listed as:
ties to country
reason for original entry and requested extension
financial means
probability to leave
etc etc

This has now hit us in the butt how important it is to be quick with the PR app.

She is hoping to come back to Canada by air on December 24th and apply for her Inland PR spousal after she gets in.

I am worried sick she is going to get a refused entry because of this, and I am wondering what our options are to increase her chances.

I spoke to a CBSA person when I came back and asked her advice and she recommended the following:

-proof of work or residence (has neither, she works online and lives with her parents down there)
-return ticket ---we have this, what is a good time frame to go on? We were thinking about a month.
-proof of finances---I am the one with the money, should I write a letter or have something else (proof of work, finances, etc) for the CBSA guy?

Please if anyone has been in this situation or has advice for us, don't hesitate to respond.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Sort of a unique situation we are in, and could use some help.

I am a Canadian citizen married to an American wife since February 2018. We've intended to get the Inland Permanent Residence package off but just haven't gotten around to it. We have always been 100% honest with the CBSA and CIC, as we never wanted to ruin our chances.

Long story short, we have been applying for Visitor record extensions for the past 18 months. We had no idea there was a time or quantity limit on this kind of thing, and were doing it simply to maintain her status and give the government a record to go on.

We decided to leave for vacation with her parents in the US in early November. Around the 15th, after she had left, she received her refusal letter for her last Visitor record extension. The refusal letter was your generic template with reasons listed as:
ties to country
reason for original entry and requested extension
financial means
probability to leave
etc etc

This has now hit us in the butt how important it is to be quick with the PR app.

She is hoping to come back to Canada by air on December 24th and apply for her Inland PR spousal after she gets in.

I am worried sick she is going to get a refused entry because of this, and I am wondering what our options are to increase her chances.

I spoke to a CBSA person when I came back and asked her advice and she recommended the following:

-proof of work or residence (has neither, she works online and lives with her parents down there)
-return ticket ---we have this, what is a good time frame to go on? We were thinking about a month.
-proof of finances---I am the one with the money, should I write a letter or have something else (proof of work, finances, etc) for the CBSA guy?

Please if anyone has been in this situation or has advice for us, don't hesitate to respond.
I would keep her visit shorter - 2-3 weeks would be better since she does not have any real ties to the US.

For proof of finances they are looking for what funds she has to support her visit. Is there really nothing she can show?

MarriedUSA

Dec 7, 2019
She can show my bank statements and her own bank statements, but hers is just a small amount compared to my finances and she doesn't have a lump sum amount in there. I pay for everything except her small bills.

Although since we are married my finances kind of are her finances, aren't they?

Last edited:

MarriedUSA

Dec 7, 2019
I would keep her visit shorter - 2-3 weeks would be better since she does not have any real ties to the US.

For proof of finances they are looking for what funds she has to support her visit. Is there really nothing she can show?
Assuming she gets in, and we get the permanent residence/OWP application off in the 3 weeks she will be here, does that give her implied status?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Assuming she gets in, and we get the permanent residence/OWP application off in the 3 weeks she will be here, does that give her implied status?
She will have implied status provide you submit the inland application + OWP before her status in Canada expires.