+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor extension help

Discussion in 'Visitors' started by carolkrlos, Oct 9, 2018.

  1. Hi,

    My wife and I recently married and we are now filling out sponsorship forms (she is a Canadian citizen and I am a US citizen). I have been living with her since 6/26/2018 and during my port of entry (YVR), the officer only granted me a stamp with no date as to when it would expire (just a v with a dash). I recently found out that I can apply to extend my visitor status but my question is if I leave Canada during the filling of the extension and if it were approved would I be allowed to come back to Canada? I am planning to visit my family 12/18/2018 in the US. Should I still consider going to the US? If I do so should I come back before 12/26/2018?

    A week ago my wife and I went to Bellingham, WA for a day's trip and upon our return, we were stopped and heavily bombarded with questions as to why I did not have the proper paperwork to stay in Canada for 6 months. I was not aware as the officer at YVR only stamped my passport and I was sent out. I explained everything to the officer and I was informed that at any point (because I don't have paperwork confirming my 6-month visitor status) any officer can refuse my entry into Canada.

    Also, as we are applying for outland sponsorship, would it be wise for me to include a work permit application? Or should I wait until the process is complete?

    Your help is much appreciated.

  2. - Visitor extensions are only good as long as you remain in Canada. Once you leave Canada, the extension is dead.
    - Each time you re-enter Canada you are reassessed by CBSA and they determine if and how long you will be allowed into Canada. Day trips into the US are risky (as you've discovered). Avoid them if at all possible. Yes, it's absolutely true that a CBSA officer can refused you entry into Canada.
    - There is no work permit option available with outland sponsorship. You can only apply for a work permit if you apply inland.
  3. Thank you for your help.

Share This Page