Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
Hello. I am a US citizen, and I moved to Ontario last May to be with my boyfriend. My passport was not stamped at the border so I understand that means I am allowed 180 days. 20 days ago I applied for a visitor extension (which my 180 expired on November 8 but I have applied for an extension so I have an implied status as I understand until I hear from immigration).
I went to the local MP's office and they were very kind. They reviewed my boyfriend's last 2 years worth of income tax returns and wrote a letter to accompany my visitor extension request. The letter stated that they had officially reviewed his income and it exceeded what I would need to be supported while living here.The MP said at the end of the letter that Jeff was well established and trustworthy. They also used their stamp and signed the document on official letterhead.
I requested a 1 year extension. Jeff and I are both going through divorces but we hope to marry next year. We don't want to marry just for immigration purposes. I am just asking for a visitor extension at this time.
My question is: Do you think I have a chance of being approved? I am not employed at the moment (which I was told it would be horrible if I indicated I was working)
I also added on the application that I am educated with a Master's degree (it asked that question)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would say that you have a strong chance of being approved if you stated that you are requesting the extension so that you can live together for a full year to become common law - so that your partner can then sponsor you for PR as his common law partner once you qualify. If you were vaguer about your intentions - it's still very possible you'll be approved - but harder for us to say one way or the other.

cindyestteacher

Nov 16, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
Thank you for your reply. I did not mention we wanted to be common law. The MP wasn't sure if that was a good idea. Maybe I should have..oh lordy..I wrote a letter to them (subbmitted with my online application) and explained I was getting a divorce and gave that information and at the end of my letter I said, "I humbly ask my request to be granted. Thank you." Again, thank you for replying to my thread. I appreciate it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your reply. I did not mention we wanted to be common law. The MP wasn't sure if that was a good idea. Maybe I should have..oh lordy..I wrote a letter to them (subbmitted with my online application) and explained I was getting a divorce and gave that information and at the end of my letter I said, "I humbly ask my request to be granted. Thank you." Again, thank you for replying to my thread. I appreciate it.
Yes, you should have mentioned the intent to become common-law and eventually apply for sponsorship. As scylla said, still very possible that you will be approved, especially with proof of finances.