+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor extension for wife

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
I am sponsoring my wife, we applied outland in the beginning of May and then moved to Canada in mid-July so her 6 months will be up in mid-January. I'm just wondering if there's any general advice for extending. Should we be applying as early as possible or should we leave it as late as possible and then apply online? I don't know if there are any advantages or disadvantages. What sort of documentation should we definitely be including? Can we apply from her MyCIC account?

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
We applied 30 days before expiration as suggested by ircc. We applied by mail as at the time it was significantly longer to get a response which meant more time for us as you have implied status while waiting. We included the aor 1 and 2 and the sa to show that we are waiting as well as my bank statements, a letter of employment for me and our ultrasound photos to show that we are expecting. We were approved

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
I'm looking through my emails and I see I got one that says that I meet the eligibility requirements for sponsorship, Is that the same as an SA? I also have a letter saying that the application has been forwarded to Singapore for processing. Would that be good to add? Is it better to apply by mail or online? I'm a student so I don't have a letter of employment. Should I be sending some sort of document showing my assets? This stuff is so stressful!

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
I'm looking through my emails and I see I got one that says that I meet the eligibility requirements for sponsorship, Is that the same as an SA? I also have a letter saying that the application has been forwarded to Singapore for processing. Would that be good to add? Is it better to apply by mail or online? I'm a student so I don't have a letter of employment. Should I be sending some sort of document showing my assets? This stuff is so stressful!
I would recommend applying online, because there is no difference between applying online and by mail except that applying online is way easier (it takes you through everything step by step, shows you all the documents you need to upload, etc). One of the documents it requests you to upload is your proof of support, so you should be uploading anything relevant to that (pay stubs, bank statements, etc).

You can certainly include copies of your AOR/SA/AOR2 (the things you mentioned) but if you apply online through the same account your PR application is linked to, they will be able to clearly see you have an app in progress. (Even if you don't, I'm pretty sure they will still see you have a PR app in progress when they go to create a file for you)

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
On the application form, which option do you select for why you want to extend your stay? "Other"?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
On the application form, which option do you select for why you want to extend your stay? "Other"?
I chose "family visit" since technically my husband is my family

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
I'm going through the visa online questionnaire for my wife and I'm a little confused by this question:
"Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?"
Well first of all, we're all ready in Canada so we're not accompanying anyone anywhere. My wife is living with me and I'm a Canadian citizen but when I click on the help option it talks about people who have status in Canada, ie students, etc. It makes no mention about Canadian citizens. So should we just select "No" for that one?

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Also the final document checklist is asking for proof of medical exam. Surely that's not required to extend your visitor visa, is it? I feel like I've clicked on the wrong link. Can someone provide me with a link of where I can apply for the visitor extension? Is this something we can do from my wife's MyCIC account? There seems to be no option for giving your PR application number or UCI number. That seems odd.

Erin Lynsay

Dec 1, 2017
Vancouver
I'm going through the visa online questionnaire for my wife and I'm a little confused by this question:
"Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?"
Well first of all, we're all ready in Canada so we're not accompanying anyone anywhere. My wife is living with me and I'm a Canadian citizen but when I click on the help option it talks about people who have status in Canada, ie students, etc. It makes no mention about Canadian citizens. So should we just select "No" for that one?
The answer for that would be "Yes". Your wife is accompanying you, a Canadian citizen.

Erin Lynsay

Dec 1, 2017
Vancouver
Also the final document checklist is asking for proof of medical exam. Surely that's not required to extend your visitor visa, is it? I feel like I've clicked on the wrong link. Can someone provide me with a link of where I can apply for the visitor extension? Is this something we can do from my wife's MyCIC account? There seems to be no option for giving your PR application number or UCI number. That seems odd.
I don't think you would be applying to extend her visa. The visa is required for entry into Canada and she is already here. Which country is she from?

You are probably looking for the form to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

I did this questionnare, that finally lead me to the application to extend the stay as a visitor.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

The form doesn't ask for proof of PR application number.

Depending on where she is from, a medical exam may be required to extend her stay as a visitor.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-temporary-residents.html

Finally, if your wife is here and she wants to stay, why did you decide to apply outl-and? In-land application (with open work permit) would give her legal status here.

Good luck :)

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
I don't think you would be applying to extend her visa. The visa is required for entry into Canada and she is already here. Which country is she from?

You are probably looking for the form to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

I did this questionnare, that finally lead me to the application to extend the stay as a visitor.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

The form doesn't ask for proof of PR application number.

Depending on where she is from, a medical exam may be required to extend her stay as a visitor.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-temporary-residents.html

Finally, if your wife is here and she wants to stay, why did you decide to apply outl-and? In-land application (with open work permit) would give her legal status here.

Good luck :)
That's a very good question Erin and I don't remember the answer exactly. I guess for some reason it just seemed more straightforward. Also we were living in Japan at the time. And I had heard that if you apply inland that you can't leave the country until you receive your PR. I guess I thought that that offered us more flexibility.

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Erin, what did you select for the first few questions of the questionnaire? Was the purpose to visit? and how long? My wife is planning to stay permanently but we're applying for an extension to a temporary visitor visa so perhaps i should select temporary, under 6 months. I'm thinking of just downloading the paper package because that seems so much more straightforward!

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
That's a very good question Erin and I don't remember the answer exactly. I guess for some reason it just seemed more straightforward. Also we were living in Japan at the time. And I had heard that if you apply inland that you can't leave the country until you receive your PR. I guess I thought that that offered us more flexibility.
If you were living in Japan at time of applying for pr then inland would not have been an option. Outland was the way to go.

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Ok, I'm not sure what I did differently but it seems to be working for me now. I see that it is still asking for my wife's proof of medical exam even though she seems to be from an exempt country (Japan). Should I just redo the questionnaire and say that we haven't had a medical exam (I stated that she had but we no longer have the form as it has gone off to her PR app) in the hopes of avoiding that requirement and then stating in the letter of explanation that she's currently going through the PR process and that the immigration officials already have the successful results of the medical exam?

Erin Lynsay

Dec 1, 2017
Vancouver
It sounds
Erin, what did you select for the first few questions of the questionnaire? Was the purpose to visit? and how long? My wife is planning to stay permanently but we're applying for an extension to a temporary visitor visa so perhaps i should select temporary, under 6 months. I'm thinking of just downloading the paper package because that seems so much more straightforward!
Yes, the purpose is to visit. Extend visitor temporary resident status.
I personally put less than 6 months. The purpose of the visit was to spend more time with my husband.

If they approve it, they will issue a temporary resident document valid until mid-July.