+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Extension for Parents

Hiphop29

Nov 12, 2020
Hello Folks -

I am trying to work through the documents for submitting an application to extend my parents visitor status for another 6 months.

Couple of questions -
  • They don't have marriage certificate. Based on my research, it looks like I can attach my passport which lists them as my parents. Would this suffice or should we get an affidavit or may be a signed letter?
  • I don't see an option of uploading photo for my mother (under supporting documents section for her) but only for my father, who's the primary applicant. Are we not supposed to provide accompanying member's photo?
TIA and stay safe

skeecandidate

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Hello,
  • For marriage certificate, I had provided passport copies of my parents showing each other's names as spouse in their respective passports.
  • In case of visitor record (visitor extension of stay), the photo upload is only for principal applicant. So, if your father is added as primary applicant you will only need to upload his photo.

Jeet2019

Jan 8, 2019
Hey,

Can i ask what you filled in the accompanying member question for your parents visitor visa extension? I also have couple more questions :

- what did you choose as the purpose of visit for the extension section?
- also the from and to date in the extension section? is the from date, the date when their status expires?

skeecandidate

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Hey,

Can i ask what you filled in the accompanying member question for your parents visitor visa extension? I also have couple more questions :

- also the from and to date in the extension section? is the from date, the date when their status expires?
For accompanying family member, can you please clarify what info you are looking for?

For the other 2 questions, I assume you are referring to the "Details of visit to Canada" in form IMM5708
Purpose of visit: Family Visit
Indicate how long you plan to stay in Canada:
"From" - Enter the current expiry date of stay in Canada
"To" - Till what date they plan to stay (max 6 months from current expiry date)

Jeet2019

Jan 8, 2019
Hey,

Thanks a ton. The accompanying family member was in the pre questions before u reach the forms/documents page, the question is something like this - are you accompanying a family member in this visit? and they have define accompanying a family member as “if you are going to stay with someone with a status in Canada or travelling with that person”.

skeecandidate

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Thanks a ton. The accompanying family member was in the pre questions before u reach the forms/documents page, the question is something like this - are you accompanying a family member in this visit? and they have define accompanying a family member as “if you are going to stay with someone with a status in Canada or travelling with that person”.
For parents visitor extension, the answer to that would be "No".

Hiphop29

Nov 12, 2020
Hey,

Thank you for responding.

Were you charged biometric fee as well? Haven't they exempted biometric during pandemic? I was charged $170 fee apart from $100 each.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, when they got the visa few years ago, biometrics was not mandatory.
Not sure where your parents are from but it does look like they will likely have to do their biometrics. It looks like they came to visit you very soon after you move to Camada or even arrived with you when you moved. This tends to raise flags for IRCC so would anticipate that you will have difficulty getting numerous extensions. You may be granted one on the first attempt but think they should plan on returning home to reestablish ties to their home country and then return to Canada so it does not appear as if they have moved to Canada with you which is not allowed.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=717&top=19

Hiphop29

Nov 12, 2020
Not sure where your parents are from but it does look like they will likely have to do their biometrics. It looks like they came to visit you very soon after you move to Camada or even arrived with you when you moved. This tends to raise flags for IRCC so would anticipate that you will have difficulty getting numerous extensions. You may be granted one on the first attempt but think they should plan on returning home to reestablish ties to their home country and then return to Canada so it does not appear as if they have moved to Canada with you which is not allowed.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=717&top=19
we actually moved from states earlier this year. They visit us for 4-5 months and then go back. It’s been like that for the past 15 yrs more or less so I don’t worry about that. They’re extending their stay for the first time due to high number of covid cases back home (Delhi).