+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor cousin

mrcanada

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
We are thinking about inviting one of my cousins to come and stay with us as a visitor to help us out while we settle in and find day care for our daughter. My wife is Canadian and we are moving to Canada this summer. My cousin would stay with our daughter while we are looking for work and in return we would pay for her ticket. She's never been to Canada and would like to stay to visit some places as well. Is this allowed? Or would we need to apply for some sort of working permit for her? I mean they wont be any compensation apart buying her ticket, she would stay and eat with us.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mrcanada said:
We are thinking about inviting one of my cousins to come and stay with us as a visitor to help us out while we settle in and find day care for our daughter. My wife is Canadian and we are moving to Canada this summer. My cousin would stay with our daughter while we are looking for work and in return we would pay for her ticket. She's never been to Canada and would like to stay to visit some places as well. Is this allowed? Or would we need to apply for some sort of working permit for her? I mean they wont be any compensation apart buying her ticket, she would stay and eat with us.
What you are suggesting is working and would be illegal to do on a visitor visa. Buying her ticket and giving her accommodations is a form of compensation.

The only suitable work permit available is a live in caregiver work permit. However this unfortunately isn't an option for you at this time since to apply, you already need to be in Canada, have accommodations in Canada and be making a salary in Canada to qualify. You would also have to pay your cousin a salary and she would have to meet certain criteria to apply (e.g. have at least one year of paid work experience as a caregiver or six month related training). This application process takes months to complete.

You will have to find a child-minding / babysitting service in Canada to take care of your daughter while you look for work.

mrcanada

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
Thats what I thought. Thanks. Im gonna look into live in caretaker program once we are settled in. She just wanted to come for a month or so, but i dont wanna risk anything.