+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting with US passport. Up to 6 months per year?

redtoes

Aug 18, 2014
Greetings everyone..
I'm currently on my passport from the US. Visiting my bf.
Am leaving September 8th. Was told at the border by an agent that its 6 months per year.
She didn't say when I may visit again if I intend to.
Is it 6 months per year and then wait till the next year?
I may be traveling in November back to the east coast from the west coast of US and wanted to include a few days in Ottawa but guess the answer will come when I drive thru customs on September 8 when I may visit again.
What do the snowbirds do?? They leave then return.
The boyfriend travels quite a bit and does come to the states.
Any advice is appreciated....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - there is no 6 months per year rule.

However it is up to the border official if you are allowed into Canada each time or not. If they feel you are spending too much time in Canada (i.e. more living in Canada rather than visiting) - it's always possible they may only grant a short visit or even stop you from entering.

redtoes

Aug 18, 2014
Thank you....the last time we went through the border (just a few weeks ago), thats the info the immigration officer gave me.
She asks me to bring documents proving my connection to the states. Which U very welk have.
And that its only 6 months per year. Interesting.
Yes, its always up to the official at the border . My bf said the officer liked her job too much!
Thanks again....
;)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
the "rule" is whatever the border agent says it is unfortuantely. i have also been told it's 6 mo. per calendar year, yet others insist it's 6 mo. per visit. if the border agent doesn't like how long you are staying/how often you visit, they will make it difficult for you in the future. be very very careful about NOT having proof of ties to the us. also you want to make sure you are staying in the US longer than you are visiting canada. The ONLY ties they care about are related to housing and a job. if you travel with a lease and recent paystubs, then they may be friendlier toward you. Border agents certainly do NOT like cross border couples who are not married. I received an exclusion order when i was dating my then bf (now husband), and was banned for 1 year.

what border are you crossing to get to Ottawa? if it's the ogdensburg, NY bridge, i highly suggest you switch to the watertown, NY border. they are much much friendlier there (in my opinion). it's the same amount of total travel time from most areas in the states, just a bit further from ottawa. (2 hours, as opposed to 1)

redtoes

Aug 18, 2014
Thank you for the great information. Yes it was Ogdensburg. The agent was really adamant about me having documents and was quite stern. Towards the end she was a bit better. We'll be heading to Vermont so won't be going through her border.
And I do have recent pay stubs to add to my documents.
Thank you again for the helpful advice!