+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting visa - what is considered working?

GoCanada1985

Jun 18, 2014
My mother in law arrived in Canada recently on a multiple entry visitor visa with the plan to stay for the maximum six months or close to it. The purpose of the trip is to visit us and decide if she wants us to sponsor her one day under the pgp program.

She is somewhat bored some days as my wife and I both work full time. An opportunity came up and some friends wanted her to watch their kids for a few hours each day in the mornings and are willing to pay for her time. Now obviously I know that she cannot do this as it would be employment which is against the law for a visitor. However as noted she is bored some days and would enjoy having the kids around even if not getting paid. So I am curious where the line is?

Is it against the rules for her to watch the kids each day even if she is not getting paid? If they were our own kids I don't believe it would be an issue. But is there an issue with it being other people's children?

There is the obvious remark of how would CIC know, but we don't want to risk breaking any rules which would likely impact a potential future pgp application and impact her visitor visa.

Any thoughts or even better confirmation of the rules in these situations?

Thanks!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
As silly as it sounds, that would be illegal work. Anything that could be considered taking work away from a Canadian or PR is considered working.
Even taking care of her own grandchildren could be considered work. There was a case about a year ago where an australian, with a sponsorship in progress, was stopped coming in from the US with his fiancé. They found pictures of him helping paint her kitchen and the deported him for illegally working in Canada.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Here is the official Canadian Immigration definition of work interpret which ever way you would like.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/about.asp

Looking after someone elses children outside immediate family on a regular basis as opposed to the odd day here and there for example could be considered work whether paid or not and can get more complicated if a friend of the friend spreads the word about free childcare.

Then the problems can really start should anyone take offense and make that call, maybe overthinking things but you get where coming from.

Is all about interpretation of the guidelines, especially keeping those in mind each time coming back into the country when being reassessed for purpose of visit as is so easy to say to look after the grand kids as sole reason for the visit or friends kids without thinking until have said it, then the problems can start.

CBSA are not stupid and ultimately expect grandparents to look after grandkids at some point during their stay but not as the sole reason which is the point and for sure not someone elses kids, so would at least the latter be work technically yes..

For sure once people are in the country they do all sorts of things that could be considered work if challenged, the decorating one is a prime example although how many people would pay a painter to do a simple decorating job in their home is debatable but rules are rules.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Watching someone else's children (paid or unpaid) will be classified as working illegally.

GoCanada1985

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks for all of your replies, especially the detailed ones. This is was my suspicion as well. At the end of the day it is not worth the risk.