+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Relative from the US during border lockdown

LovingSon

Jun 24, 2020
My mother and sister's US visas are about to expire and I want them to come and visit me here in Canada, both of them have Canadian visas. I became a Canadian citizen just this year before the covid19 pandemic. Been calling different agencies but they just forward my calls to another one. I'm now confused and worried about my mom. Anyone here who's in the same situation? What did you do, thank you for your response!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My mother and sister's US visas are about to expire and I want them to come and visit me here in Canada, both of them have Canadian visas. I became a Canadian citizen just this year before the covid19 pandemic. Been calling different agencies but they just forward my calls to another one. I'm now confused and worried about my mom. Anyone here who's in the same situation? What did you do, thank you for your response!
Your mother is likely to be able to enter but not your sister. Are they not able to return home?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm thinking of her old age as an essential reason, she needs someone to look after her.
She is visiting you so you will take care of her after she has done 14 days of quarantine with you or alone without sharing a bathroom, kitchen, etc. Your sister is not considered immediate family according to the definition for current entry. She will not be able to enter under current rules. When do their US visas expire?

LovingSon

Jun 24, 2020
She is visiting you so you will take care of her after she has done 14 days of quarantine with you or alone without sharing a bathroom, kitchen, etc. Your sister is not considered immediate family according to the definition for current entry. She will not be able to enter under current rules. When do their US visas expire?
I understand. My mom's US visa is due late of July, my sis is on mid of August. Yes, we already made adjustments for that, we actually moved to a bigger house with 3 rooms and 2 washrooms. Do I have to write a letter again to state the current situation?

Thank you very much, people

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand. My mom's US visa is due late of July, my sis is on mid of August. Yes, we already made adjustments for that, we actually moved to a bigger house with 3 rooms and 2 washrooms. Do I have to write a letter again to state the current situation?

Thank you very much, people
Unless rules change your sister doesn’t qualify to enter Canada there aren’t any exceptions. Your mom will be able to enter on her own as long as she does the 14 days of quarantine. You may also run into problems with quarantine unless your family is also willing to remain at home for 14 days. For real quarantine to happen a person should have access to their own self contained apartment so they are not exposing anyone. Technically if a person has a bedroom with an en-suite and they remain in their room for 14 days while being dropped off food at their door it could be doable. You would have to do their laundry but would essentially need to wear PPE and sanitize the whole laundry room to do it. Your sister will need to try to find a flight home.