+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Korea while waiting for PR ( mailing address change )

soohee

Sep 14, 2015
Hi,

I applied for PR under common-law sponsorship in August 10, 2015 and received AOR on Sep 10. (Outland)

I am currently on PGWP visa, which expires in Mar, 2016.

I am planning to go visit Korea after I get SA. (Not sure when I will come back to Canada yet).

Home and mailing address on my CIC profile is the one I am currently living at. My common-law partner will stay at this address while I am in Korea.

I am wondering if I should change my mailing address just in case I get COPR while I am still in Korea.

I am not sure which one I should choose from following options.

1. Change mailing address to Korean address so I can get COPR package and land at the airport when coming back to Canada.
2. Not change address and come back to Canada when I see Decision Made in Ecas.
3. Have my common-law partner send me the COPR package to Korea and land at the airport when coming back to Canada.

emily3859

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2015
Doc's Request.
30-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-01-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2015
LANDED..........
20-09-2015
Um. Ok, here are my opinions on this.

1. Change mailing address to Korean address so I can get COPR package and land at the airport when coming back to Canada.
If you get your COPR and you are in Canada, you have to leave and re-enter OR make an appointment at a CIC office (4-6 week wait for appointment). Can be a hassle. Please note, though, CIC takes WEEKS to update your mailing address. I submitted an address change in Feb 2015 and it was not recognized until July 2015.
2. Not change address and come back to Canada when I see Decision Made in Ecas.
Could do this but like I said if you get your COPR and you are in Canada you have to leave and re-enter or make an appointment. If you are afraid of your document getting lost in the mail this is the safest way. I would recommend this way because CIC takes forever to update addresses.
3. Have my common-law partner send me the COPR package to Korea and land at the airport when coming back to Canada.
This is a possibility, but if you are worried about it getting lost in the mail, I would not recommend. If you do go with this way, make sure it is registered with a tracking number and requires signature on delivery.

I recommend #2 OR #3. Changing addresses with CIC takes way too long.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. agreed to Emily3859, it takes too long to get changed your address on Ecas.
but If you are sure you would come back to Canada when you get DM which would be next year.
then you can change your address on Ecas now, then VO would send you COPR to korean address .

2. COPR is arrived a week after when you get DM on ECAS (my case) so you can come back to Canada and either go to the boarder near your city or book an appointment at local CIC office. (Emily3859 is right, it took me 4 week to get appointment at local office)

3. your common law partner can send you COPR (if you don't change your address) just make sure he use express mail with tracking no. or carrier (FEDEX, DHL) then you can land when you come back to Canada.