+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting India on eVisa after receving Canadian PPT and surrendering Indian PPT. Journey!

AramanB

Star Member
Sep 21, 2020
RPO requires appointments, but I was told that for surrender certificates, You don't need it.
You just need to show the printed form and application fees form with barcode to the Police manning the doors, they will allow you.
Make sure you print all the pages of passport and sign it.
Remember not to go on free walk in days. There will be huge rush. In HYd RPO its Thursday. Cuz you need to take your finger prints and photo graphs there, and huge lines will be there on free walkin days.
Hello dear, can I surrender the india passport in india if it was issued in Toronto?
And
Where can i fill the online application to surrender in India?

eee

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
can someone please comment for below scenario.

i have canadian pp and came to india with indian pp.
dont want to surrender indian passport for next 2 years and dont want to use indian passport for travel for next 2 years.
after 2 years if i want to travel back to canada then i will surrender indian passport and get entry and exit visa and then travel to canada with penalty as mentioned in below table. is this correct as per below website and offense and penalties ?

as per below table, i can keep both passports until 3 years without penalty and offenses. am i right ?

https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005#:~:text=3.-,Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled,once after obtaining foreign passport.&text=4.,-Passport not surrendered&text=obtaining foreign passport-,Penalty of Rs.,passport and penalty of Rs.

S.N.ScenarioPenaltySection
1.Passport not surrendered up to three years and not used for travel after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty--
2.Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled once after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for travel on Indian passport12(1A)
3.Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled more than once after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-)12(1A)
4.Passport not surrendered for over three years and used for travel after obtaining foreign passportPenalty of Rs. 10,000/- for retention of passport and penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-).12(1A)
5.Renewal/re-issue of Indian passport and travelling on it after acquiring foreign nationality(i) Rs. 25,000/- for each renewal/re-issue and, (ii) Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-)12(1A)

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
can someone please comment for below scenario.

i have canadian pp and came to india with indian pp.
dont want to surrender indian passport for next 2 years and dont want to use indian passport for travel for next 2 years.
after 2 years if i want to travel back to canada then i will surrender indian passport and get entry and exit visa and then travel to canada with penalty as mentioned in below table. is this correct as per below website and offense and penalties ?

as per below table, i can keep both passports until 3 years without penalty and offenses. am i right ?

https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005#:~:text=3.-,Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled,once after obtaining foreign passport.&text=4.,-Passport not surrendered&text=obtaining foreign passport-,Penalty of Rs.,passport and penalty of Rs.

S.N.ScenarioPenaltySection
1.Passport not surrendered up to three years and not used for travel after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty--
2.Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled once after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for travel on Indian passport12(1A)
3.Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled more than once after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-)12(1A)
4.Passport not surrendered for over three years and used for travel after obtaining foreign passportPenalty of Rs. 10,000/- for retention of passport and penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-).12(1A)
5.Renewal/re-issue of Indian passport and travelling on it after acquiring foreign nationality(i) Rs. 25,000/- for each renewal/re-issue and, (ii) Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-)12(1A)
You are living in India without a proper status and once you apply for exit visa after 2 yrs that would mean longer illegality. Above table does not talk about that nor the difficulty you may face to get exit visa. If you plan to work in India during this 2 yr timeframe would add to further complications.
I don't know your motivation of 2 yrs but better would be to surrender your passport and get visa ASAP and then after 6 months of living in India get OCI.

eee

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
You are living in India without a proper status and once you apply for exit visa after 2 yrs that would mean longer illegality. Above table does not talk about that nor the difficulty you may face to get exit visa. If you plan to work in India during this 2 yr timeframe would add to further complications.
I don't know your motivation of 2 yrs but better would be to surrender your passport and get visa ASAP and then after 6 months of living in India get OCI.
Can i work in india in between indian passport surrender and before getting OCI ?

eee

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
got it. Thank you . can i apply for employment visa in india to continue work? any other alternates to work ?

also i see a link , point number :10 talks about already employed in india when applying oci, required to submit employment letter and details.

Please advice.

https://services.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/india/united-states-of-america/oci-services/pdf/Foreign-national-previously-Indian-passport-holder-(adult).pdf
Employment visa is one of the way to continue working but there salary requirement ceiling is quite high. So do check that.

The above link is for USA. Check if the same is valid for Canada.

eee

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
Employment visa is one of the way to continue working but there salary requirement ceiling is quite high. So do check that.

The above link is for USA. Check if the same is valid for Canada.
Thank you. i will check