+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting family who are refugee claimants

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello, I am just curious about how the visa is canceled. Did your family have a multiple entry visa? Why you say the visa has been canceled? Someone put a stamp on the visa in the passport? or they figured out when they tried to come for the second time?
Canada just cancels it in system . It’s linked to the people’s names . Airline reservation data is sent to the government. So the rule is, just because one is granted a visa, doesn’t mean it can’t be cancelled
Canada will not take a chance that the family will not use that visa to come “visit “, then claim asylum .

Akulele

Mar 28, 2019
I would like to find out if I can reapply for the renewal of my TRV which expired in November 2019 though it was 2 years visa and which I used to visit my family 2 times. My family refugee status is currently at appeal stage. The appeal has been submitted but waiting for the outcome.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I would like to find out if I can reapply for the renewal of my TRV which expired in November 2019 though it was 2 years visa and which I used to visit my family 2 times. My family refugee status is currently at appeal stage. The appeal has been submitted but waiting for the outcome.
You can apply for a new TRV but be prepared for the possibility of it being rejected.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Don't understand why you would need to apply for a TRV if you are in Canada but the chances of approval are incredibly low. No harm trying.

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
But what could have been your best advice.
There is no best advice. You can always apply for it but the fact that a refugee claim that is still in process is associated with the family will lower your chance of being approved that's just it...

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I only went to visit them 2 times I am not in Canada
Sorry misread your post. You can certainly apply but it may be difficult to get approval. The fact that you left after your visit does improve your chances. It will be very important to show strong ties to your home country to alleviate concerns that you will also apply for asylum as well. No harm in trying.

Reactions: Jahprovideesp

tessytessy

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
Sorry misread your post. You can certainly apply but it may be difficult to get approval. The fact that you left after your visit does improve your chances. It will be very important to show strong ties to your home country to alleviate concerns that you will also apply for asylum as well. No harm in trying.
My Advice to him is not to even try. In my case, i didn't even know they cancel visas of spouse. I was refused to board in Europe to go to Canada. I even went as far as fighting why my visa should be cancelled but the Canada visa officer even took my passport and physically revoked the visa thereby mutilating my passport. I regretted ever attempting. I haven't seen the family since then for over 4 years now.

• Sad
Reactions: Yuki.03

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
I have a friend who is now a citizen, and who was the spouse of a refugee. She tried to apply to sponsor her Mom and kept getting denied. Lawyers said she should wait until her sister has become pr or citizen, possible why they keep denying it because her sister's refugee claim was still in-process..

Akulele

Mar 28, 2019
As sais above, there is no best advice. You just have to try and apply. A refugee claim has a lot of consequences, family members being denied TRVs is one of them. As noted, the fact that you’ve visited before and left will be a positive note in your file.
Thank you. I am even looking at applying for student visa. I have already applied to a college for a program and if I am being offer letter of acceptance by the school the fear that I am of age and I have left school for long coupled with my family status might count against me when applying for study permit. I am contemplating if I should still go ahead with TRV or student visa

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you. I am even looking at applying for student visa. I have already applied to a college for a program and if I am being offer letter of acceptance by the school the fear that I am of age and I have left school for long coupled with my family status might count against me when applying for study permit. I am contemplating if I should still go ahead with TRV or student visa
Your family status will be considered regardless if you apply for a study permit or TRV.

If you want to go the student visa route, make sure you are planning to attend a good school in Canada (no private schools) and that the progression of your education makes sense (i.e. if you have a bachelor degree already then best option would be to take a master's in Canada).

Akulele

Mar 28, 2019
Your family status will be considered regardless if you apply for a study permit or TRV.

If you want to go the student visa route, make sure you are planning to attend a good school in Canada (no private schools) and that the progression of your education makes sense (i.e. if you have a bachelor degree already then best option would be to take a master's in Canada).
This is serious I shouldn’t have come back the last time I went. Though I will make a trial and see what will be the outcome.