+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visiting Candada for 9 months-visitor or working visa

tina_

Jan 22, 2016
Hello,

me and my long-term boyfriend are going to Canada in August for 9 months. He is getting a job there, and is applying for a working visa. What would be the best option for me in this situation? To get a regular visitor visa, (in which case, do I have to re-apply for it sometime during my 9-month stay in Canada?) or a working visa? (In case might work during that 9 months)

Thank you!

aprillee

Star Member
Dec 8, 2015
tina_ said:
Hello,

me and my long-term boyfriend are going to Canada in August for 9 months. He is getting a job there, and is applying for a working visa. What would be the best option for me in this situation? To get a regular visitor visa, (in which case, do I have to re-apply for it sometime during my 9-month stay in Canada?) or a working visa? (In case might work during that 9 months)

Thank you!
depends on what you are planning to do in Canada. If you are going to work, you need a work permit. With a visitor visa you can stay up to 6 months and then you have to apply for extension. It's advisable to apply for extension at least one moth before your visa expires.

tina_

Jan 22, 2016
Thank you for your reply.

Do you happen to know what are the additional costs of getting a working visa? Do I need to apply for a special health insurance or just pay the starting 150$?

I'm still not sure whether I plan on working while in Canada so I'm looking into both options right now.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
tina_ said:
Thank you for your reply.

Do you happen to know what are the additional costs of getting a working visa? Do I need to apply for a special health insurance or just pay the starting 150$?

I'm still not sure whether I plan on working while in Canada so I'm looking into both options right now.
I recommend you to apply for Spousal Open Work Permit.
SOWP will be valid for the same time as your boyfriend's WP.

It's depends on the provinces but you could get Provincial Health Insurance with SOWP, but not with Visitor visa.
You don't need private insurance with WP (except in some provinces for firsts months). Visitors should pay and it's expensive.

Note you can get a Social Insurance Number only if holding a WP, that's is needed for:
- Open bank accounts.
- Allow your boyfriend to declare you as "supported" reducing taxes under some circumstances.

Driving, it's depends on the provinces how long can you drive with your original license (and international license if license it's not in english), Visitors can drive longer, Workers could need to apply for Provincial driver license after a few months.

Cost of life could be expensive on some cities so if you're able to find a job, even partial time, can help.

Note you need to provide some documents to apply for SOWP, basically proof of relationship longer than some time (I think 2 yeras but I'm not sure right now), common bank accounts, insurance, commonly registered vehicles, rented apartments and Common Law Form signed by a Notary.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5409E.pdf

Note they're some conditions:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=199&t=17
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

WP fees are $150 but OWP it's $100 additional

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
I'm not too sure right now but perhaps you need to apply CIC for SOWP before to come to Canada.

Or entry as visitor and apply later.

When we did it we had a Letter of introduction of my company lawyers explaining we had completely requirements to apply for WP and SOWP in the border.

We had to fill somemail forms, basically application for a WP.

I don't know if you can get it at the border directly.

I'm assuming you're from a visa exempt country.