10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
muxlow said:
Thank you much for your help. I have read the visiting information on the canada website, but am still confused on one little thing... whatever the length of time I have until my returning flight (let's say 6 weeks... only because I DID visit for six weeks last time), if I extend my FLIGHT itself for another x amount of weeks (because the stay can be up to 6 months, no?) do I apply for extending my 'stay/visa in canada' the 30 days before my flight leaves or 30 days before I stay six months (if I were to stay that long).
30 days before your stay expires (usually they'll let you stay for 6 months, unless they think something's fishy and limit your stay).

Furthermore I took an online assessment and went through the different options they had to see if I was eligible for extension. There was an option where they stamped my passport with a date, and an option where they left it blank. When I visited before, I received no stamp the first time. This means, I am assuming, that I could have stayed 6 months (??) before I was over-staying. Please correct me if I am wrong. Half way through my visit we drove to seattle and then back through the border. I received a stamp with a date for the day I went back into canada. Under the stamp he wrote another date, which was my return flight that he asked about. The date on the stamp I assume is when I came in, but if there is a date underneath... if I stay past that am I... expired? And if so, 30 days before this date, do I have to apply for extension?
It is preferably 30 days before your stay expires. You're safe if you send it anytime before it expires, though. But definately try your best to apply 30 days before it expires.

Sorry for all the questions. I don't want to fly all the way down to Vancouver and get denied. I cannot imagine what would happen next. 0.o

One last thing... is two months a stay that will get you further questions by customs or should I book a refundable return flight six weeks as I did last time?
If you're "staying" for longer they will want to see that you actually have funds for your stay. I would book a flight back 4 weeks from when you arrive to raise less eyebrows.

Good luck!

muxlow

Jan 14, 2011
Thank you much for your help! I actually called the customs border or another... I am not sure. I was reconnected to all these different locations. I'm finishing up college and commute from my parent's house. They are currently moving though, so I am unsure of where they will be when I go back. The lady on the phone said that it should be okay if I don't have a ticket as long as I can explain that they are moving and provide proof that I am a student. I am assuming I just have to have a bunch of papers that are saying point blank: "Look, I'm not trying to live here illegally," which is exactly the truth :)

Thank you again for everything. Means a lot that you take time out of your day to answer my questions.

Best Wishes,

Muxlow

p.s. quickie: do you have to have a reason for extension besides just wanting to stay longer?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are mailing an extension request, it is always a good idea to get proof of delivery.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
muxlow said:
p.s. quickie: do you have to have a reason for extension besides just wanting to stay longer?
Yes.

Longer answer, describe why you want to be in Canada longer.... :)

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
muxlow said:
Yes, usually saying that you're waiting for PR is enough, providing proof of funds.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wells Dad said:
Thanks, Baloo, you're right......my statement might have been misleading.
Not deliberately so. This stuff is confusing, full of hidden pieces of confusion.
If CIC doesn't get it right all the time how can we :)