+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada with ETA

Eden3301

Aug 20, 2018
Hi, thanks in advance for reading this and helping me out.

My fiance was deported from the US for overstaying his ESTA by 67 days. He has a completely clean record - no misdemeanors and definitely no felonies in ANY country - besides this deportation. I know that Canada and the US share intel with each other...does my fiance still qualify for an ETA for Canada?

And also, another situation, I am currently on probation. At some point, I'm going to ask permission to cross over to Canada for a week to visit my fiance (if he's eligible for ETA). I am a US citizen and I live right next to the border, so if it's before I am off probation, I planned to go to the border and apply for a TRP right then and there instead of filing online, as I know I am inadmissible to Canada until my record is clean at the end of probation.

If my fiance is not eligible for ETA, do you think we should file for a TRP for him as well? Thanks again!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I would say his chances of an eTA are low to non existent if he has been deported. Does he qualify for an eTA/is he from a non visa required country? Easiest way to find out is to spend the $7.00 and find out. And don't lie on the application....that will get him banned for 5 years.

As for a TRP for you, that's hit and miss. You may get one at the border, you may not.

Eden3301

Aug 20, 2018
I would say his chances of an eTA are low to non existent if he has been deported. Does he qualify for an eTA/is he from a non visa required country? Easiest way to find out is to spend the $7.00 and find out. And don't lie on the application....that will get him banned for 5 years.

As for a TRP for you, that's hit and miss. You may get one at the border, you may not.
Yes, he is from a non visa required country. We definitely weren't planning on lying on the application. Thanks for your response. Any tips on filing for a TRP, then? I thought I read somewhere that deportation from the US alone wouldn't make someone inadmissible to Canada though... :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

My fiance was deported from the US for overstaying his ESTA by 67 days. He has a completely clean record - no misdemeanors and definitely no felonies in ANY country - besides this deportation. I know that Canada and the US share intel with each other...does my fiance still qualify for an ETA for Canada?

And also, another situation, I am currently on probation. At some point, I'm going to ask permission to cross over to Canada for a week to visit my fiance (if he's eligible for ETA). I am a US citizen and I live right next to the border, so if it's before I am off probation, I planned to go to the border and apply for a TRP right then and there instead of filing online, as I know I am inadmissible to Canada until my record is clean at the end of probation.

If my fiance is not eligible for ETA, do you think we should file for a TRP for him as well? Thanks again!
You're actually inadmissible to Canada for longer than the end of your probation. Once your probation is over, you'll still be inadmissible. You would have to wait five years after probation is over and then apply for rehabilitation. Once rehab is approved would you become admissible to Canada again.

I'm not sure what the chances are of a TRP being approved before probation is over. Guess you can go to the border and find out...

Eden3301

Aug 20, 2018
You're actually inadmissible to Canada for longer than the end of your probation. Once your probation is over, you'll still be inadmissible. You would have to wait five years after probation is over and then apply for rehabilitation. Once rehab is approved would you become admissible to Canada again.

I'm not sure what the chances are of a TRP being approved before probation is over. Guess you can go to the border and find out...
I consulted with a lawyer about this already. My record will be expunged, so I won't have to file for anything at that point. And anyway, it's worth trying to file the TRP before probation is over, just to see...only 200$. I suppose the worse that happens is it gets denied. :'D

Eden3301

Aug 20, 2018
I consulted with a lawyer about this already. My record will be expunged, so I won't have to file for anything at that point. And anyway, it's worth trying to file the TRP before probation is over, just to see...only 200$. I suppose the worse that happens is it gets denied. :'D
Sorry, let me correct myself. My record won't be expunged* It's a delayed sentence. Anywho, I came across as a bit surely. I know the lawyer said I'd be fine, but if I'm not, I'd hope that a TRP would be granted. One can only try, anyway!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, he is from a non visa required country. We definitely weren't planning on lying on the application. Thanks for your response. Any tips on filing for a TRP, then? I thought I read somewhere that deportation from the US alone wouldn't make someone inadmissible to Canada though... :(
It doesn't make him inadmissible. It just makes him undesirable as a visitor. He is a high risk to overstay because someone who abuses immigration privileges in one country generally has no issues doing so in another country.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

You should be aware that even if an eTA is granted, CBSA has a right to refuse entry based on previous immigration history and could either outright deny admission or ask that he withdraw his application to enter. An eTA is not a free pass.