+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada while spouse PR is processed

SAM_2010

Nov 2, 2010
I plan to apply for Spouse PR. My husband is Canadian PR.

If applying via "outland" route, can I still stay in Canada on tourist visa while PR is being processed?

Thanks a lot.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

SAM_2010 said:
I plan to apply for Spouse PR. My husband is Canadian PR.

If applying via "outland" route, can I still stay in Canada on tourist visa while PR is being processed?

Thanks a lot.
Yes

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
My only question with this, as I've posted in other threads, is what to expect from the IO when crossing the border. We're basically hoping they'll let us in, by our promising to leave within 6 months, if PR is not approved, or the visa extended? So we basically have to get them to take our word? That sounds very challenging. If any of you have done this before, what was your experience getting grilled?

MizzCanAm

Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
Med's Done....
12-08-2010
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
LANDED..........
09-03-2012
For me, this was the easiest time I had coming across the border after being sent to secondary inspection. I was in the states for 3 weeks wrapping up some business and waiting for final papers to come (fingerprint letter). I told them at crossing that I wanted to stay in Canada until after the Holidays and that I was returning to Canada to send in our PR Application. He sent me to secondary inspection. The lady at the desk asked how long I wanted to stay and I said until after the Holidays. She looked me up in the computer and asked if I had sent in our App for PR. I said I was returning to Canada to do that this visit and that I had been waiting for fingerprint letter to come back. She said I see that they have limited your stays in the past (last 2 times I came across they gave me a visitor record for 3 months) and she said she didn't see a need to limit my visit and if someone else wanted to next time, they could. I had all my receipts that I had my medical done and fingerprints sent off and my receipt of fees paid and she didn't even ask to see any of those. She handed me back my passport and said I could go ahead. I didn't ask for a stamp in my passport because I know I will have to go back before my 6 months is up because I have to have my vehicle inspected.

I do believe it was all luck in who I got when I went into secondary inspection. Some of them seem to know more about the immigration process than others and if you get the correct person, they know the rules and what happens after the PR Application is sent. This doesn't mean that next time I come across it will be this easy again tho.