+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada - Proof of funds?

collegeguy

Aug 18, 2011
Hello,

I am a U.S. Permanent Resident, and planning on taking a vacation in Canada for about 4 months. I will be staying at a family friend's residence. I will also only have around 1,200 USD in my bank account, but lodging, food, and transportation are covered by my host during my stay. My question is, will I be asked for proof of funds for this trip, and would having 1,200 USD in my bank account satisfy an immigration officer considering that my expenses are covered by my host?

Thanks.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
collegeguy said:
Hello,

I am a U.S. Permanent Resident, and planning on taking a vacation in Canada for about 4 months. I will be staying at a family friend's residence. I will also only have around 1,200 USD in my bank account, but lodging, food, and transportation are covered by my host during my stay. My question is, will I be asked for proof of funds for this trip, and would having 1,200 USD in my bank account satisfy an immigration officer considering that my expenses are covered by my host?

Thanks.
You can be asked how you will support yourself.
IMO having less than $300 CAD per month is not enough to stay in Canada, even if you are staying with friends.
Do you really believe that you can live on less than $10 a day in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Baloo said:
IMO having less than $300 CAD per month is not enough to stay in Canada, even if you are staying with friends.
Agreed. I would aim for $1000 a month.

collegeguy

Aug 18, 2011
Baloo said:
Assuming I'd even be spending money for every single day I'm in Canada. Anyways, could I use some sort of affidavit of support from my host?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
An IO is not likely to believe that you can survive on an average of $10 a day.

Is it worth the risk of being refused entry?

collegeguy

Aug 18, 2011
Baloo said:
An IO is not likely to believe that you can survive on an average of $10 a day.

Is it worth the risk of being refused entry?
Okay. Would it help to say that I have additional funds that get deposited to my account from time to time, and will receive financial support from my parents here in the U.S. while I'm in Canada? If not, how long should I expect to stay in Canada with my current, planned funds - 1 month? without holding the possibility of being denied entry?

Also, I have relatives in Canada who are also willing to cover all my expenses. Would I have more chances of being granted the 4 months if I stay with them instead?

Thanks.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please understand I am not the one who decides this.
My opinion is, if you are asked about your means of support (from what you have said) the IO is likely to doubt you capability to support yourself.
$1200 for one month looks a lot more sensible.
Typically, if you needed to provide full basic support for yourself in Canada, a year would be about C$21,000 (this varies on location).

Be aware that you may have no problem whatsoever.
However, the only guarantee that you get is, the IO at the border will be the one who makes the actual decision.

The IO may well think about the following (maybe a lot more actually):
How does this person get 4 months holiday?
Do you have enough money for the trip?
Am I convinced this person will leave Canada?

Read the notes about visiting at:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

What country are you a citizen of?

collegeguy

Aug 18, 2011
Baloo said:
Please understand I am not the one who decides this.
My opinion is, if you are asked about your means of support (from what you have said) the IO is likely to doubt you capability to support yourself.
$1200 for one month looks a lot more sensible.
Typically, if you needed to provide full basic support for yourself in Canada, a year would be about C$21,000 (this varies on location).

Be aware that you may have no problem whatsoever.
However, the only guarantee that you get is, the IO at the border will be the one who makes the actual decision.

The IO may well think about the following (maybe a lot more actually):
How does this person get 4 months holiday?
Do you have enough money for the trip?
Am I convinced this person will leave Canada?

What country are you a citizen of?
Yes I understand that the IO is the one who will ultimately decide how long I will be in Canada for, or if I will even be permitted in Canada based on my reasons. I just wanted some second thoughts regarding this so I could adjust my plans accordingly.

As for the questions...
How does this person get 4 months holiday? I am a college student currently enrolled in online classes for the current semester in my local university here in the U.S.

Do you have enough money for the trip? I have enough for what I -believe- is to be enough in the case of emergencies, and also having good faith in my host to cover the expenses of my trip (doesn't seem too great of an answer...lol.)

Am I convinced this person will leave Canada? I have a following spring semester to attend to, as well as an internship waiting for me for when I get back to the U.S. Not to mention that I am still financially dependent on my parents.

What country are you a citizen of? Philippines

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wasn't actually asking the question that the IO would, it was more along the lines of general thoughts.

The key thing is that if asked, you will have to convince the IO.
FWIW I agree that the funds answer that you gave is not that convincing.

I would suggest that you gather as much proof as you can..

Good luck on the trip, please let us know how it goes.

khalidhaider

Sep 9, 2010
Dear Baloo,
I am oblige you .My question is that after geting visit visa do you need medical certificate to leave
your original country?
Secondly, do you need to show fund at airport?
Please, reply.
Thanking you,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khalidhaider said:
Dear Baloo,
I am oblige you .My question is that after geting visit visa do you need medical certificate to leave
your original country?
Secondly, do you need to show fund at airport?
Please, reply.
Thanking you,
none of the above is required

lipu12

Sep 12, 2011
hii...i'm in USA on multiple visit visa. I've opened a bank account on 26th august. now i want to apply for canada visit visa for 3-4 days from new york. i'm planning to apply at the end of september or at the starting of october. i just want to know if i submit just 1 month bank statement where i've sufficient fund, will it be alright as proof of my fund available. Please help me out.