+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VISITING CANADA AFTER EXPIRY OF THE PR CARD

chella99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2007
I am PR card holder whose card will expire in a month form now and I have not fulfilled the residency obligation. My son and wife are also PR card holders and their cards have been renewed recently. Me and my wife jointly own a property also.

I wish to visit Canada to see my family. My ques are:

1. Can I apply for a PRTD from my place of residence which is outside of Canada ? I see in the PRTD forms that residency obligation completion is required. If so, how can I apply for PRTD. At the same time, at many places, it is stated that people whose PR Card has expired can visit Canada based on PRTD. I don't understand this apparent conflict of rules.

2. If not on a PRTD, can I apply for a multiple entry visit visa and how soon will it be processed ?

3. Are there any other better alternatives.

Would appreciate detailed response from knowledgeable members and others.

Thanks.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
  1. You will need to apply for a PRTD to gain access to a commercial carrier to Canada. You won’t be allowed to board without one. By not meeting the residency obligation, expect the PRTD to be refused and they will start the process of revoking your PR status. You can appeal if you have solid grounds for not meeting RO. Alternately, if you have a US visa, you can gain entry from the US at a land border without the need for a PRTD. There is a possibility they will report you for RO, but you will be allowed to enter.
  2. As a PR, you can not acquire a TRV(or any other type of temporary resident visa).
  3. No.