+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit Visa Rejection- reason: to attend my sister during and after delivering a baby

sadia riaz

Feb 6, 2024
Hi
I am PhD student in Canada, got married in Canada, and I applied for my brother to come to Canada for three weeks to assist me during my last days of pregnancy and postpartum time. My brother has a decent full time job in Pakistan, and also a runs his small business venture in the country. He is married and has a year old daughter who were not coming with him to Canada. in the application to show ties with the home country, his family, leave approval from his employer (btw he works with a government institution) shows his ties to the country. To make a convincing case, I also provided letters from my University and doctor to reflect on my need of him to come and visit me to provide emotional and physical support in this time. I do not have any other family members in Canada, my family was not able to attend the wedding because marriage happened in Dec last year and the visit visa was hard to get at that time, and now having a baby adds to the situation. Both my parents are deceased and my sisters and married and could not come.
My brother got following reasons for his refusal:

1. The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
2. Your current employment situation does not show that you are financially established in your country of residence.

I do not understand the reason of the first and how to address this issue when reapplying
and for the 2nd reason, I am confused because he is a full time employee, and he also earn from his business. the amount he showed in his financial statement was more than 7000 CAD. Does this amount make sense? How much should be his salary to show financial strength and how much should be the money his bank to show financial soundness? Suggest how should I address these two factors?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi
I am PhD student in Canada, got married in Canada, and I applied for my brother to come to Canada for three weeks to assist me during my last days of pregnancy and postpartum time. My brother has a decent full time job in Pakistan, and also a runs his small business venture in the country. He is married and has a year old daughter who were not coming with him to Canada. in the application to show ties with the home country, his family, leave approval from his employer (btw he works with a government institution) shows his ties to the country. To make a convincing case, I also provided letters from my University and doctor to reflect on my need of him to come and visit me to provide emotional and physical support in this time. I do not have any other family members in Canada, my family was not able to attend the wedding because marriage happened in Dec last year and the visit visa was hard to get at that time, and now having a baby adds to the situation. Both my parents are deceased and my sisters and married and could not come.

1. The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
2. Your current employment situation does not show that you are financially established in your country of residence.

I do not understand the reason of the first and how to address this issue when reapplying
and for the 2nd reason, I am confused because he is a full time employee, and he also earn from his business. the amount he showed in his financial statement was more than 7000 CAD. Does this amount make sense? How much should be his salary to show financial strength and how much should be the money his bank to show financial soundness? Suggest how should I address these two factors?
Order GCMS notes. As soon as you say in your letter coming to Canada to support your pregnancy with a doctor’s note, alarm bells are ringing with IRCC. Letter should have simply said coming to Canada to visit newborn niece/nephew. Once you say support to IRCC this in their definition means work. So new letter should state coming to visit newborn…that’s it. I assume your spouse is with you so that is a family member.

What did he show for employment with salary? Has he been in the job for a long time? For business, did he provide registration, contracts, bank statements etc.? Does his finances match his job?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

A brother or a man in general coming from Pakistan to support a woman during pregnancy or with postpartum care would be very unusual. Even in Canada that is pretty unusual except your husband. Slightly less unusual to help with the newborn but women still dominate caregiving roles around birth. In Pakistan men are not typically involved in things like birth or postpartum care/newborns. 7k is not a lot of money so using so much money to come to Canada for a short visit while also not working during that time does not make much sense especially given that he has a family to support. There will be concerns that he is attempting to come to Canada to try and find employment and remain in Canada. Due to economic issues in Pakistan many are trying to leave and find employment abroad. That would be incredibly difficult and would take many months to be processed without a guarantee of approval. You have a spouse so he could provide the same support as your brother. Letters from your university would have minimal impact on your brother getting a TRV or you needing emotional support during your pregnancy. Physical support would be considered work so for example if you specified that your brother would be cleaning your home for you during the last weeks or pregnancy that would be considered illegal work. The likelihood of him getting approved if you apply again is low so would focus on preparing yourself by making meals too freeze for example and have your husband help you with thing before pregnancy and during the postpartum period. Also just accept that things not may get done or get done the way you would prefer. If you have to buy some prepared meals, get some take-out, etc. it’s not a big deal. If your home is messier than usual it’s not a big deal. If your husband does the cleaning and cooking and it’s far from perfect it’s not a big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taran D

sadia riaz

Feb 6, 2024
Order GCMS notes. As soon as you say in your letter coming to Canada to support your pregnancy with a doctor’s note, alarm bells are ringing with IRCC. Letter should have simply said coming to Canada to visit newborn niece/nephew. Once you say support to IRCC this in their definition means work. So new letter should state coming to visit newborn…that’s it. I assume your spouse is with you so that is a family member.

What did he show for employment with salary? Has he been in the job for a long time? For business, did he provide registration, contracts, bank statements etc.? Does his finances match his job?
Since he works with Govt. his salary at job is around CAD 1000 plus other benefits, however, he earn pretty good amount from his business (he is self-employed and has business registration with FBR, also his application showed the contracts he did with other parties to deliver the project which also included the total amount of the contract as well- I include this document as a proof of funds transferred to his account from the company he worked with). The total amount in his bank statement was justified with the proof of salary slips and amount he earned from the business.

sadia riaz

Feb 6, 2024
A brother or a man in general coming from Pakistan to support a woman during pregnancy or with postpartum care would be very unusual. Even in Canada that is pretty unusual except your husband. Slightly less unusual to help with the newborn but women still dominate caregiving roles around birth. In Pakistan men are not typically involved in things like birth or postpartum care/newborns. 7k is not a lot of money so using so much money to come to Canada for a short visit while also not working during that time does not make much sense especially given that he has a family to support. There will be concerns that he is attempting to come to Canada to try and find employment and remain in Canada. Due to economic issues in Pakistan many are trying to leave and find employment abroad. That would be incredibly difficult and would take many months to be processed without a guarantee of approval. You have a spouse so he could provide the same support as your brother. Letters from your university would have minimal impact on your brother getting a TRV or you needing emotional support during your pregnancy. Physical support would be considered work so for example if you specified that your brother would be cleaning your home for you during the last weeks or pregnancy that would be considered illegal work. The likelihood of him getting approved if you apply again is low so would focus on preparing yourself by making meals too freeze for example and have your husband help you with thing before pregnancy and during the postpartum period. Also just accept that things not may get done or get done the way you would prefer. If you have to buy some prepared meals, get some take-out, etc. it’s not a big deal. If your home is messier than usual it’s not a big deal. If your husband does the cleaning and cooking and it’s far from perfect it’s not a big deal.
then how much is the considerable amount to be shown in a bank statement for visit visa?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Since he works with Govt. his salary at job is around CAD 1000 plus other benefits, however, he earn pretty good amount from his business (he is self-employed and has business registration with FBR, also his application showed the contracts he did with other parties to deliver the project which also included the total amount of the contract as well- I include this document as a proof of funds transferred to his account from the company he worked with). The total amount in his bank statement was justified with the proof of salary slips and amount he earned from the business.
He needs GCMS notes. Most likely it is because he was coming to take care of you which is considered work. He should have been coming to visit and see you and the baby. How long was visit? $7k is not a lot of money to come to Canada and support a family.

sadia riaz

Feb 6, 2024
the visit was for 3 weeks - as he was only able to get a leave for 3 weeks only from his work.
How much should be the amount in his account, if 7k is not enough?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
the visit was for 3 weeks - as he was only able to get a leave for 3 weeks only from his work.
How much should be the amount in his account, if 7k is not enough?
At least 15k but still not guaranteed. He would have to explain how he suddenly doubled his savings. It’s unclear exactly why you need your brother to come to Canada. Do you have a partner in Canada? It will still appear very strange for a man from Pakistan to ask to come and support his sister during pregnancy and postpartum. This is a very unusual request. You will want to be very specific why you need your brother and why your spouse would not be able to support you during this time.