+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit Visa for parents

emily94

Dec 31, 2017
Hi @canuck78 , @Buletruck , @scylla , @robertp , @Bryanna , or anyone else

I am stuck in a situation and would appreciate your help. I want to apply for my parents to come visit me but confused in my decision to apply as a regular visit visa or Super visa. I have PR and work in a bank which fetches me $3500 a month and have savings upto $12k CAD
1. My parents dont have any travel history in the last 10 years
2. My dad has a business that gets occassional income
3. Mom works at a school
4. My brother and grandfather are dependant on my parents and might serve as ties to country
5. We do not own a property back home but my parents have savings of $30k CAD

I do understand that super visa would mean showing my strong funds, and visit visa means my parents showing their assets/funds. Based on the above points, would you be able to suggest me which visa could i go with?

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hi @canuck78 , @Buletruck , @scylla , @robertp , @Bryanna , or anyone else

I am stuck in a situation and would appreciate your help. I want to apply for my parents to come visit me but confused in my decision to apply as a regular visit visa or Super visa. I have PR and work in a bank which fetches me $3500 a month and have savings upto $12k CAD
1. My parents dont have any travel history in the last 10 years
2. My dad has a business that gets occassional income
3. Mom works at a school
4. My brother and grandfather are dependant on my parents and might serve as ties to country
5. We do not own a property back home but my parents have savings of $30k CAD

I do understand that super visa would mean showing my strong funds, and visit visa means my parents showing their assets/funds. Based on the above points, would you be able to suggest me which visa could i go with?
You need to weight the benefits and requirements of each and decide which best suit you. For example, for super visa your parents maybe eligible for multiple-entry TRV for up to 10 years, with the status period extending for up to 2 years on each entry to Canada. BUT, will require proof of a medical examination and of being admissible on health grounds plus evidence of your means of providing financial support through meeting the low income cut-off (LICO) minimum depending on the number of people in your household.

Alternatively, you can consider regular visit visa and stating how you're going to support their trip financially and why. It maybe a nice idea to include some if possible, documents for super visa to boost their chances. My humble opinion!

emily94

Dec 31, 2017
Thanks for your reply @babsizkil

Since i've never applied visa for them, is it ok with going for super visa on the first time itself? Also i do meet the LICO which makes me think i should go for Super visa. Im concerned that they would get rejected for the regular visit visa on the grounds of travel history and assets. I only see LICO for 2019 on CIC website. Is there a new one for 2020?

emily94

Dec 31, 2017
Also in the purpose of travel, what is best to describe their visit, as they are just coming to visit me without any occasion. For super visa, what can i mention the duration of visit as?

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Thanks for your reply @babsizkil

Since i've never applied visa for them, is it ok with going for super visa on the first time itself? Also i do meet the LICO which makes me think i should go for Super visa. Im concerned that they would get rejected for the regular visit visa on the grounds of travel history and assets. I only see LICO for 2019 on CIC website. Is there a new one for 2020?
It doesn't matter if you've never applied for any visa for them in the past. They can apply anytime and for anything so far they can meet the requirement and eligible. For most parents application with status children in Canada, IRCC are so flexible when it comes to travel history. At least, I know many and have heard about parents who got visit visas without previous travel experience. As for the LICO, the only one I think is current is effective for 2019. IRCC promise to update the numbers for 2020 in the near future. I'm not sure if that's updated or not.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Is not having a property as an asset a downfall?
Asset is one of the factors consider by IRCC staff in demonstrating ties to home country. There are many fictitious or investments consider as assets. For example, shares or stocks can be considered as asset. If they have any, that'll help.

Last edited:

emily94

Dec 31, 2017
As of now, only the $30k CAD in their accounts, letter from mom's school stating she is a full time employee.