+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit Visa for Parents - Confusion regarding the form IMM5257-Schedule 1

Tariq Ali

Jan 3, 2011
Hi,

My sister living in Canada and still having the PR status wants to invite out parents for a visit. My parents are living with me in Kuwait and are under my sponsorship, therefore obviously the visa application will be submitted in Embassy of Canada in Kuwait. While filling up the visit visa forms, I came across a form "Application for Temporary Resident Visa made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257 - Schedule 1)". I m not sure how to fill this form.

Q1. Is it mandatory to submit with the application?

Q2. The form says that "if you did not work or were retired (which is the case with my father), please provide the personal address for that period". Is this question referring to the home address for the last 10 years?

Q3. The form also says that "If you are a dependent on some else's income (i.e., your parents or spouse) please provide employment details of this person". Does this mean that I have to provide my employment details since both my parents are under my sponsorship and are dependent on me?

Q3. Is there any possibility that my sister can apply for the visit visa for our parents from Canada?

Thank you very much

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) If this applies to your parent, then yes
2) Yes
3) If your parents are financially dependent on your income, yes, provide your employment information.
4) I'm not sure but people here apply for visit visa outside Canada.

Mona_Barca

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
1) If this applies to your parent, then yes
2) Yes
3) If your parents are financially dependent on your income, yes, provide your employment information.
4) I'm not sure but people here apply for visit visa outside Canada.
Steaky -

I am sorry but I think your answer is wrong.......You will need to fill Schedule 1 only if you answered YES to any of the questions in the 5257 form under background information.....Please refer to page 4 out of 4 on the application and read the highlited section which indicates what I have mentioned....If you refer to the guide it will tell you the same.......

I might be wrong though.......

Tariq Ali

Jan 3, 2011
Mona_Barca said:
Steaky -

I am sorry but I think your answer is wrong.......You will need to fill Schedule 1 only if you answered YES to any of the questions in the 5257 form under background information.....Please refer to page 4 out of 4 on the application and read the highlited section which indicates what I have mentioned....If you refer to the guide it will tell you the same.......

I have the same understanding that if the answers for the background information is YES, then this form is required to be filled. But then again it is not explicitly mentioned in the Canadian Immigration Website. I want to know from those people who have already submitted their applications for visit visa, did they fill this "Application for Temporary Resident Visa made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257 - Schedule 1)" or not.

Many thanks.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mona_Barca said:
Steaky -

You are correct.

sleepwalker84

Aug 1, 2013
Hi everyone! Mavbe its not the topic but I have the similar issue about IMM5257...I am an unemployed person,in the application IMM5257 it is asking for the employment dates.As it is not applicable for me I had given “n/a” but it is asking to fill the dates.In the date format it is not accepting the characters.What can I do?
please help me.... Sad

Canucks2013

Apr 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2013
AOR Received.
April 2013
File Transfer...
April 2013
I had thought the same.. that you need Schedule 1 form only if you answered YES to any of the questions. In Pakistan, this is not the case.. TCS refused to accept my wife's application without that form and she had to re-submit.
Another person I know.. he submitted his wife's application without that form only to have the application returned by the embassy after a month that Schedule 1 is not there.

There is no harm in sending that form. You will still fill out the basic info, say NO to all, sign and date. Bingo !!!

All the best.