+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit Montreal for five months, What do I need to prove?

terri345

Jun 13, 2011
U.S Citizen. I want to stay in Canada for about five to six months. Montreal to be specific. What do I have to show that I can support myself? Is five or six thousand dollars in bank account enough?

Will I have to prove that I plan to come back to U.S (DUH, Of course, I will come back. But when I was going to Italy they gave me so much hassle about this.) Of course, my lease in the U.S will be expiring at the end of the month which is why I am making such a big decision. I suppose I want to know what I will need to do or prove to be allowed to stay in Canada for that long. Also no 9-5 job, because I am a freelance writer.

Thanks again.

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
terri345 said:
U.S Citizen. I want to stay in Canada for about five to six months. Montreal to be specific. What do I have to show that I can support myself? Is five or six thousand dollars in bank account enough?

Will I have to prove that I plan to come back to U.S (DUH, Of course, I will come back. But when I was going to Italy they gave me so much hassle about this.) Of course, my lease in the U.S will be expiring at the end of the month which is why I am making such a big decision. I suppose I want to know what I will need to do or prove to be allowed to stay in Canada for that long. Also no 9-5 job, because I am a freelance writer.

Thanks again.
First tell me. Are you a US citizen by birth ?

tigermom250

Jun 13, 2011
terri345 said:

Thanks again.

Money and a job is only part of it. Any substantial ties to the US will be relevant. You can provide a letter from a family member detailing how all of your family and friends are in the US. Any other ties; pets, membership in specific organizations, etc will be helpful

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
terri345 said:

Thanks again.
You can stay in Canada for six months as a visitor, because you are US Citizen. You should have permanent add. in US like appt. or house on your name, more money you show in your personal a/c is good. Six thousand dollars in the account is not bad. Don't worry,it's not so complicated for US citizen. If not six month, four months visitor visa you will get for sure. 8)