+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Visa and Student Visa

Priya Goshal

Sep 9, 2019
Hello everyone,
I am Priya from Calcutta, I have got student visa 1 week before. But before this 1 year ago me and my husband got also visit visa to canada. Initially he was not planning to leave his job but on my insisting he is ready now.
I just want to know can he enter in canada with visit visa and later on change his visa to dependent visa.
Is it possible.

Thanks for responses in advance.

Regards,
Priya G.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,
I am Priya from Calcutta, I have got student visa 1 week before. But before this 1 year ago me and my husband got also visit visa to canada. Initially he was not planning to leave his job but on my insisting he is ready now.
I just want to know can he enter in canada with visit visa and later on change his visa to dependent visa.
Is it possible.

Thanks for responses in advance.

Regards,
Priya G.
He can come to Canada as a visitor. There is no such thing as a "dependent visa". He can apply within Canada for an open work permit based on your study permit.

Priya Goshal

Sep 9, 2019
He can come to Canada as a visitor. There is no such thing as a "dependent visa". He can apply within Canada for an open work permit based on your study permit.
Thank U sir, He just need to travel with me and apply for open work permit, In How many days would he receive this.
& regards my baby with 4 years of age is she eligible and whats the age bar to join in school for kids.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank U sir, He just need to travel with me and apply for open work permit, In How many days would he receive this.
& regards my baby with 4 years of age is she eligible and whats the age bar to join in school for kids.
Not a sir.

Check the posted processing times.

Kid needs a TRV to come to Canada. Check school age requirements with your intended province.

Priya Goshal

Sep 9, 2019
Hi, I am hearing from my friends that he can apply for workpermit at immigration itself while landing. Is this true or he needs to go there after I join the university from then he needs to apply for WP. How many days would it take if he is applying onshore.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I am hearing from my friends that he can apply for workpermit at immigration itself while landing. Is this true or he needs to go there after I join the university from then he needs to apply for WP. How many days would it take if he is applying onshore.
As he requires a TRV to come to Canada, he doesn't qualify to apply for the OWP when entering. He can try but CBSA will likely tell him to apply to IRCC.

Google processing imes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Was also going to say that spouses of international students are not guaranteed SOWP. It also be a number of months until he may get an answer. You should apply for a TRV for your child. I am sure whether the child gets her/his TRV will influence your plans. You husband could also keep working and apply for an SOWP and when/if he gets accepted he can leave his job.

Priya Goshal

Sep 9, 2019
Was also going to say that spouses of international students are not guaranteed SOWP. It also be a number of months until he may get an answer. You should apply for a TRV for your child. I am sure whether the child gets her/his TRV will influence your plans. You husband could also keep working and apply for an SOWP and when/if he gets accepted he can leave his job.
thanks 1 n all.

AghA13

Star Member
Sep 20, 2023
Hello Priya,
Congratulations on your student visa! While I'm not an immigration expert, typically, it's possible to enter Canada on a visitor visa and later apply for a change in status to a dependent visa if eligible. However, it's crucial to consult with Canadian immigration authorities or an immigration attorney for accurate guidance tailored to your specific situation. Best of luck with your plans!
this thread is for 4 years ago.