+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa stamped. Can I defer?

MSCS21

Star Member
Nov 11, 2020
Im in the worst situation. I got my visa stamped. I had asked for early resignation. it seemed to go smoothly. now they said not possible. My university has not given option to defer/online yet. Kindly let me know what can I do if I cant go for fall 2021. It is masters degree course with two year validity. I am praying to every god for online class. but,

1.If they University defer option to next year , can my visa be extended
2. If they asked me to withdraw and reapply, what happens to my visa stamped this year? will I be refused next year on the basis of this alone.

Absolutely heartbroken. Kindly help me.
@armoured @scylla @legalfalcon @canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Im in the worst situation. I got my visa stamped. I had asked for early resignation. it seemed to go smoothly. now they said not possible. My university has not given option to defer/online yet. Kindly let me know what can I do if I cant go for fall 2021. It is masters degree course with two year validity. I am praying to every god for online class. but,

2. If they asked me to withdraw and reapply, what happens to my visa stamped this year? will I be refused next year on the basis of this alone.

Would first start with seeing if online classes or deferral is an option. You should be able to get a study permit extension. If you defer I would suggest updating your file with your new LOA.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

If you have been issued a visa, your file is closed as a decision on it has been made. If you defer your admission to the next year, you will most likely have to submit a new application.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

All depends on if your school allows deferment, and how many intakes your LOA is valid for. Which school are you going to? W.R.T your permit, I think you should be fine with deferring for up to 180 days, after that you might be required to re-apply.

What is the repercussion of just leaving your current employment?

Reactions: MSCS21

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

If they give you deferral option, you'll need updated enrolment letter when attempting to enter Canada. If they ask you to withdraw and reapply, your DLI will send compliance report to IRCC that will trigger cancellation of your SP. But As you said, your DLI did not offer you deferral or online options, they may withdraw you from studies, and your SP will be cancelled.

Reactions: MSCS21

Myahudi Jr II

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
All depends on if your school allows deferment, and how many intakes your LOA is valid for. Which school are you going to? W.R.T your permit, I think you should be fine with deferring for up to 180 days, after that you might be required to re-apply.

What is the repercussion of just leaving your current employment?
No need to re-apply for the same DLI for more than 150days

Myahudi Jr II

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
From what I understand from the experts in this forum and from the IRCC is that study permit approval and passport visa stamping are two different things. While study permit approval is purely internal and it is a permit given for you study in Canada for the duration of the course, the visa in the passport stamped is not part of the study permit. As you might be aware, the study permit will only be given to you by the BORDER OFFICERS in Canada, when you land at the airport. In principle, they will decide whether or not you should enter Canada. I read somewhere in this forum that someone deferred their program but the study permit was approved already. In this case, IRCC replied in a webform saying that the student can travel with the visa with the passport, but they should show their new or LOA deferred for that session to the border officers. When the border officer get to see this new LOA, the study permit will be issued for the new LOA or for the deferred program. So, we are only send the passport to get the VISA to travel to Canada, and the purpose of the travel will be only dealt at the airport. I hope you guys make a difference out of it. The study permit is not VISA, but you need a VISA to get you to travel to Canada.

COPY & PASTE

@Naresh_PlantSci

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Some of these threads you shared are very old and the rules have changed a lot, especially during COVID. If the OP defers for up to a year as they indicated in their post, chances are they will need to re-apply for the SP if they never entered Canada to activate their SP in that time period.

MSCS21

Star Member
Nov 11, 2020
Thank you guys for taking time to reply. Update . Course is made online for semester one . I must travel by January for second semester. I will complete the notice period meanwhile.

Reactions: wonderbly