+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Sponser (Common Law) divorcing me. What happens to my Visa?

kellyleighj

Oct 6, 2007
Since January of 2005 I have held a Permanant Resident Visa granted after 2 years of immigration fun. I am sponsored by my Common Law husband. We intended to live out our lives together in Canada rather than my homeland - USA.

Last week he told me that he would like to marry another woman.

What happens to my residency? Will i have to leave Canada? I have been living there since 2003. Financially, isn't he responsible for me for some period of time? I have friends and work in Canada.

What would I have to do to stay? What is he responsible for?

Canadian-loyal

Sep 13, 2007
kellyleighj said:
Since January of 2005 I have held a Permanant Resident Visa granted after 2 years of immigration fun. I am sponsored by my Common Law husband. We intended to live out our lives together in Canada rather than my homeland - USA.

Last week he told me that he would like to marry another woman.

What happens to my residency? Will i have to leave Canada? I have been living there since 2003. Financially, isn't he responsible for me for some period of time? I have friends and work in Canada.

What would I have to do to stay? What is he responsible for?
Hi

If you are PR of Canada, that is it. No one can take it from you unless you have broken the law with misrepresentaion or others. He has signed the undertaking when he applied to sponsor you. He should abide by the law and the period of undertaking. If you decide to go on social welfare, he will be responsible and will pay for it.