+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Residence expire..??

Javanegas

Jan 24, 2011
Dear friends,
Thank yor for this Web for the Newcomers as me. I am new in this web. I am Chemical engineer from Colombia, SouthAmerica with about 10 years of experience in the Food industry as Process Engineer and R&D engineer. I received my visa residence as Skilled Worker join with my wife(Bacteriologist) and my 4-years old daugther, but I have a big concern about to land to canada. Our visas residence expire in september 2013. My questions:
-Do we must to land to Canada this year 2011 to avoid some problem in order to apply to citizenship in 2013??
-If we decide to land in 2013, is there some problem when arrive to Canada??
-Do we can apply to Medical Insurance and PR Card outside to Canada or we must to be in canada??
-You can advise the best province to find job according to my experience...
-Is there some official Web of the Canadian Goverment where I can ask and inform about this topics..??

To tell the truth, I am making more savings in my current job in Colombia in order to be more easy living in Canada while I certified my profession as Engineer in Canada and after I find a job according to my experience.
Thanks for your worth help!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am surprised they gave you a PR visa valid for so long. Usually they set the expiry date of the visa to a year after your medicals and you must land before that time.

If your visa is really valid until 2013, you can land at any time before that.

You can not apply for citizenship in 2013 because you must have lived in Canada for 1095 days as a PR before you can apply.

When you land as a PR, you give an address where you want your PR card mailed to. You can give the address of friends or relatives or you can tell them that you will let them know later when you have an address. Usually the PR cards will take around 6 weeks to arrive. You can not apply for a PR card before you land. You can also not apply for health care until you are landed as a PR and living in Canada. Some provinces (Ontario, BC, Quebec and NB) have a 3 month waiting time before you get covered by health care.

You have to look for jobs on the internet and see if you can find something suitable. Looking will help you see in which province you have the best opportunities.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
this is wierd ! maybe its a new thing , i also heard the visa is usually valid for one year from damascus center?? is this common in southamerica?

Javanegas

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Leon,

I am very grateful for your answer. You're right, the visas were issued after medical exams and expired in Sept 2008. I tell you that I missed you this detail. We were with my wife and daugther in Canada before of Sept 2008 for a month and three months later received the Permanent Residence Cards mailed to address of relatives. These PR cards expire in Oct 2013. So we can travel to Canada at any time before oct 2013, right??
I'm going to chekc in internet the jobs that fit to my profile and the provinces that offer me more opportunities.

Thanks a lot,

Javier Vanegas

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh, you mean you have already landed as a PR. Then I have bad news for you. According to the PR residency requirements, you must live in Canada at least 730 days in each rolling 5 year period. That means you can only be outside Canada for up to 1095 days (3 years) so if you landed before September 2008, you don't say which month, you must move back to Canada this year if you want to keep your PR and stay for a full 2 years. After that you can renew your PR card and then leave again for up to 3 years.

If you do not move back this year, it is possible that you will still get in with your PR card but it is also possible that immigration will revoke your PR for not meeting the residency requirements.

Javanegas

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Leon,

I understand very well your answer. It's clear, I must travel this year with my family. I'm going to prepare all to this purpose.

Thanks a lot again,

Best regards,

Javier Vanegas

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
candy44: If you read his 2nd post, you will see that it is not the PR visa he is talking about. He has already landed as a PR in 2008 and it is their PR cards he is referring to that will expire in 2013. I have already advised him that he will need to move to Canada this year in order to meet the residency requirements.

Javanegas

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Leon,

You mentioned below that "it is possible that you will still get in with your PR card but it is also possible that immigration will revoke your PR". My question is If I land after september, for example, march 2011, is it possible that inmigration in Canada not to permit land in Canada?? We can do anything before in my native country??
Thanks for your help!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it is possible that they will catch you when you enter, realize you do not meet the residency requirements and start the process to revoke your PR. If they do that, they will let you enter Canada and give you 30 days to appeal their decision. You can appeal based on one of two things, either that they are wrong and that you do meet the residency requirements which you can't because it would not be true and the 2nd is that you have humanitarian grounds why you had to stay outside Canada, taking care of sick parent for example. If you lose the appeal, you will have to leave or they will deport you.

There is nothing you can do from your home country to ask for more time. You have 3 years to be outside. It is already a lot longer than many other countries allow their PR's. Many will revoke your PR if you are gone for 6 months.

Javanegas

Jan 24, 2011
Hi! Leon & all other members

This is my current status visa:
We landed in Canada as PR on 18 Sept 2008 and left on 11 Oct 2008. And the expiry of the PR card is 10 Oct 2013. Now we are on the way back to Canada and settle there permanently. Would you please advise which should be the last date for next entry to maintain our 730 days of stay? Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may be outside Canada for up to 3 years an each 5 year period so if you left on Oct 11, 2008, you must return no later than Oct 11 this year and then you must stay in Canada for 2 years. Do not apply to renew your PR card until you have 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 year period. If you are in Canada, it is no problem if your PR card expires and you don't renew it right away. You only need it for travel and occasionally to prove your status.