+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa refused- help and ideas

Bubsie

Apr 25, 2019
Thank you for your interest in studying in Canada. After careful review of your study permit application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the limited employment prospects in your country of residence. •

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.

Reactions: Princebtw

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
As previously stated in your other thread, we can't help if you don't tell us about your profile.

You need to tell us what course you applied for, which country you live in, what your citizenship is, what kind of financial documents you submitted, your prior academic background, your ties to your home country/country of citizenship - all of that.

Simply pasting a generic denial letter tells us nothing about why you were denied.

Bubsie

Apr 25, 2019
To do nursing already accepted in Ontario
Zimbabwe citizen
Family members in zim
Bank statement available ABOVE 60 000.00AUD
HIGH School aced all 11 subjects with As a d Bs
Maths
English
English literature
Biology
Science
Chemistry
Geograpgy
Business studies
French
Zulu as second language
Religious studies Bible knowledge
IELTS 7.5

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
OK, let's look at your profile and the reasons for refusal.

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

You need to prove to IRCC's satisfaction that you will leave Canada once you complete your course. Your profile doesn't say why you would leave. Can you think of some strong reasons to go back to Zimbabwe?

Also, did you just graduate high school and are applying to an undergrad nursing course? If yes, then you need to talk about why you chose nursing as a profession. What drew you to wanting to become a nurse?

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the limited employment prospects in your country of residence.

This is related to the same reason - why would you go back and be a nurse in Zimbabwe, when the prospects for nurses in Canada are so much better? To combat this reason, your SOP needs to have information about your future plan. You need to show that you've done some research about jobs in Zim. For e.g, you can say something like "There are many new hospitals opening in Harare (such as XYZ, ABC), and the demand for trained nurses is rising every year. I have spoken to administrators at Hospital ABC and they have indicated that they will be very happy to hire nurses trained in Canada."

Now obviously, all that needs to be true! Don't just make it up.

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

This is simpler. You said you showed a bank balance of 60k AUD (why AUD, btw? why not CAD?), but whose account is this? What are the source of the funds? Do you have access to the entire amount for your studies? What's the cost of your course?

In addition, do you have any property in Zim? Or other assets that belong to you?

Bubsie

Apr 25, 2019
Thanks
But l did write a letter stating my reason why l chose nursing just exactly like you mentioned.
Finance is my blood uncle in Aussie
I don't have any assets. I am just a child.
My family put out house and business as assets‍♂
OK, let's look at your profile and the reasons for refusal.

You need to prove to IRCC's satisfaction that you will leave Canada once you complete your course. Your profile doesn't say why you would leave. Can you think of some strong reasons to go back to Zimbabwe?

Also, did you just graduate high school and are applying to an undergrad nursing course? If yes, then you need to talk about why you chose nursing as a profession. What drew you to wanting to become a nurse?

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the limited employment prospects in your country of residence.

This is related to the same reason - why would you go back and be a nurse in Zimbabwe, when the prospects for nurses in Canada are so much better? To combat this reason, your SOP needs to have information about your future plan. You need to show that you've done some research about jobs in Zim. For e.g, you can say something like "There are many new hospitals opening in Harare (such as XYZ, ABC), and the demand for trained nurses is rising every year. I have spoken to administrators at Hospital ABC and they have indicated that they will be very happy to hire nurses trained in Canada."

Now obviously, all that needs to be true! Don't just make it up.

This is simpler. You said you showed a bank balance of 60k AUD (why AUD, btw? why not CAD?), but whose account is this? What are the source of the funds? Do you have access to the entire amount for your studies? What's the cost of your course?

In addition, do you have any property in Zim? Or other assets that belong to you?

Reactions: trendyx

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks
But l did write a letter stating my reason why l chose nursing just exactly like you mentioned.
Finance is my blood uncle in Aussie
I don't have any assets. I am just a child.
My family put out house and business as assets‍♂
What did the letter say exactly?

Ah, your uncle is sponsoring you. That can be an issue. What kind of proof did you provide for his reasons for sponsoring you? Your family's house and business won't work as assets in this case.

And you haven't given any reasons why you would want to come back to Zimbabwe after completing your studies. Again, your family's house and business aren't a reason for you to return.

chidosky4ril

Sep 7, 2019
As previously stated in your other thread, we can't help if you don't tell us about your profile.

You need to tell us what course you applied for, which country you live in, what your citizenship is, what kind of financial documents you submitted, your prior academic background, your ties to your home country/country of citizenship - all of that.

Simply pasting a generic denial letter tells us nothing about why you were denied.

Hello Goose,

I read your above comment and I need your candid advise.

I received a visa refusal today. Reasons for refusals are:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of your qualifications, previous studies, employment, level of establishment, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans.

My details:

1. Academic Background: Bachelor of Technology in Physics Electronics (2006), Completed 9 credits toward a Masters in Information Technology but I didn't finish the program, and recently completed a Research Master's degree in Electronics Engineering (2019) - Research interest in Artificial Intelligence. A Journal paper of my final year research work has been recently published in a reputable journal site.
2. College name and course (Also fees): Centennial College, Electromechanical Engineering Technology - Automation & Robotics. Based on what I read from the college site (Electromechanical Engineering Technology - Automation & Robotics program is for qualified college or university graduates of engineering and science programs), I decided to apply for Advanced Diploma in Centennial College because I was refused admission from the below 5 top Universities (I have proofs for the refusals too). I met their requirement but was refused due to slot competition as informed by the Universities despite good grades GPA - (B.Tech - 3.5 / 5.0, MSc. 3.75 / 4.00)
3. Tuition fee for the program is CAD16,960. I paid for first semester CAD8,480.
4. I provided proof of funds of Total = CAD31,500 - My bank statement (CAD25,500) + Sponsorship from Cousin (CAD6,000). Pls note, this is excluding the tuition paid. Documents such as affidavit of sponsorship letter of sponsorship and business documents from cousin was also provided.
5. Aside item (4), I also provided a Letter of explanation stating that I am capable of paying the rest of my fees. In doing this, I executed a Power of Attorney which authorize my wife to sell 2 out of the 4 plots of Land (i.e. a part of land we own) before the end of my first academic year. Funds realized will be made available to me in cash via my saving account to enable me have immediate access to funds to cover the following academic year (2nd year).
6. Asset provided: Affidavit of ownership of properties / Survey plan and Building Approval (5-bedroom duplex) and 2 more plots of lands in Nigeria - Letters and other relevant documents from real estate company was provided to support this. Affidavit of ownership - because the building was erected on an inherited family land.
7. IELTS - Not required (Exempted) - I wrote an explanation letter to address this, provided links to the college website and also letters from my previous universities to support this.
8. Country applied from: Malaysia. I am Nigerian & I hold a student visa in Malaysia expiring January 2020
9. I have travel histories, and tourist visa refusals to other countries which as addressed as required in the form.
10. Although, I had applied for temporary resident visa twice in 2017 and 2018, I was refused on grounds of travel history, purpose of visit, and immigration status in country of residence. How do I address this: immigration status in country of residence ?
11. I am married and I am not accompanied by wife or family members. Furthermore, I attached our marriage certificates - showing I am married.
12. I applied online on 9 October, 2019 and got refusal letter today 24 October, 2019.
13. I provided a study plan. Is this the same as Statement of Purpose (SOP) ?

My study starts in January, 2020 and applying for CAIPS I guess wouldn't be an alternative for me due to time factor considering commencement of studies in January 2020.

I am a bit confused if I should reapply by addressing the above reasons effectively and reasonably or retrieve funds paid to the college.

I will appreciate your suggestions in addressing the highlighted reasons. I will provide further information if needed.

Thanks

Chidi

Reactions: Marina23

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Goose,

I read your above comment and I need your candid advise.

I received a visa refusal today. Reasons for refusals are:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of your qualifications, previous studies, employment, level of establishment, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans.

My details:

1. Academic Background: Bachelor of Technology in Physics Electronics (2006), Completed 9 credits toward a Masters in Information Technology but I didn't finish the program, and recently completed a Research Master's degree in Electronics Engineering (2019) - Research interest in Artificial Intelligence. A Journal paper of my final year research work has been recently published in a reputable journal site.
2. College name and course (Also fees): Centennial College, Electromechanical Engineering Technology - Automation & Robotics. Based on what I read from the college site (Electromechanical Engineering Technology - Automation & Robotics program is for qualified college or university graduates of engineering and science programs), I decided to apply for Advanced Diploma in Centennial College because I was refused admission from the below 5 top Universities (I have proofs for the refusals too). I met their requirement but was refused due to slot competition as informed by the Universities despite good grades GPA - (B.Tech - 3.5 / 5.0, MSc. 3.75 / 4.00)
3. Tuition fee for the program is CAD16,960. I paid for first semester CAD8,480.
4. I provided proof of funds of Total = CAD31,500 - My bank statement (CAD25,500) + Sponsorship from Cousin (CAD6,000). Pls note, this is excluding the tuition paid. Documents such as affidavit of sponsorship letter of sponsorship and business documents from cousin was also provided.
5. Aside item (4), I also provided a Letter of explanation stating that I am capable of paying the rest of my fees. In doing this, I executed a Power of Attorney which authorize my wife to sell 2 out of the 4 plots of Land (i.e. a part of land we own) before the end of my first academic year. Funds realized will be made available to me in cash via my saving account to enable me have immediate access to funds to cover the following academic year (2nd year).
6. Asset provided: Affidavit of ownership of properties / Survey plan and Building Approval (5-bedroom duplex) and 2 more plots of lands in Nigeria - Letters and other relevant documents from real estate company was provided to support this. Affidavit of ownership - because the building was erected on an inherited family land.
7. IELTS - Not required (Exempted) - I wrote an explanation letter to address this, provided links to the college website and also letters from my previous universities to support this.
8. Country applied from: Malaysia. I am Nigerian & I hold a student visa in Malaysia expiring January 2020
9. I have travel histories, and tourist visa refusals to other countries which as addressed as required in the form.
10. Although, I had applied for temporary resident visa twice in 2017 and 2018, I was refused on grounds of travel history, purpose of visit, and immigration status in country of residence. How do I address this: immigration status in country of residence ?
11. I am married and I am not accompanied by wife or family members. Furthermore, I attached our marriage certificates - showing I am married.
12. I applied online on 9 October, 2019 and got refusal letter today 24 October, 2019.
13. I provided a study plan. Is this the same as Statement of Purpose (SOP) ?

My study starts in January, 2020 and applying for CAIPS I guess wouldn't be an alternative for me due to time factor considering commencement of studies in January 2020.

I am a bit confused if I should reapply by addressing the above reasons effectively and reasonably or retrieve funds paid to the college.

I will appreciate your suggestions in addressing the highlighted reasons. I will provide further information if needed.

Thanks

Chidi
Unfortunately there are many problems with your application. Your previous attempts to come to Canada, studying abroad and applying from abroad indicate you are very unlikely to return to Nigeria. Your choice of program makes no sense. Someone with a masters degree with interest in AI should be applying for a PhD. Your funds are not enough. You can’t count on money that will be accessible if land sells. Plus your wife or family has to live, you have to finish your studies in Malaysia and you have to travel to Canada and get established.

chidosky4ril

Sep 7, 2019
Unfortunately there are many problems with your application. Your previous attempts to come to Canada, studying abroad and applying from abroad indicate you are very unlikely to return to Nigeria. Your choice of program makes no sense. Someone with a masters degree with interest in AI should be applying for a PhD. Your funds are not enough. You can’t count on money that will be accessible if land sells. Plus your wife or family has to live, you have to finish your studies in Malaysia and you have to travel to Canada and get established.
Thank you so much for your candid advise and opinion. I understand your point. I am working towards gaining admission into a funded PhD program. Please can you clarify what you meant by Plus your wife or family has to live, you have to finish your studies in Malaysia and you have to travel to Canada and get established. Actually, my wife is also studying in Malaysia and presently on a PhD program. I don't have any kids yet. My family (parents and siblings) are all residing in my home country. I will appreciate your advise, what should I do precisely ? I share in your views. Do I return to my home country to apply ? Lastly, when you say my funds aren't enough, I have paid CAD$8480 out of CAD$16,960. And still have CAD$25,500 on my personal account + CAD6,000 sponsorship I obtained. This makes an available cash of CAD$31,500 good enough for 1 year studies as required. This amount is exclusive of CAD8,480 previously paid. I will appreciate you best advice should I secure a PhD program which I am working towards. Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for your candid advise and opinion. I understand your point. I am working towards gaining admission into a funded PhD program. Please can you clarify what you meant by Plus your wife or family has to live, you have to finish your studies in Malaysia and you have to travel to Canada and get established. Actually, my wife is also studying in Malaysia and presently on a PhD program. I don't have any kids yet. My family (parents and siblings) are all residing in my home country. I will appreciate your advise, what should I do precisely ? I share in your views. Do I return to my home country to apply ? Lastly, when you say my funds aren't enough, I have paid CAD$8480 out of CAD$16,960. And still have CAD$25,500 on my personal account + CAD6,000 sponsorship I obtained. This makes an available cash of CAD$31,500 good enough for 1 year studies as required. This amount is exclusive of CAD8,480 previously paid. I will appreciate you best advice should I secure a PhD program which I am working towards. Thank you
How will your wife finance her life for a year? The fact that both you and you wife are both not in Nigeria adds even more concern that you will not return. You must use your 31K to finish your studies in Malaysia, fly to Canada and Nigeria or elsewhere for your wife, and then pay for your time in Canada. There is no other source of liquid cash that you can access to cover the 2nd year. Selling a plot of land is a hypothetical. Canada has some of the top AI program so they are very competitive to get into. You really need to find a supervisor that will advocate for your acceptances. I would try to contact a wide variety of potential supervisors at different schools. I don't see how you will get accepted based on your current proposed course in college.

chidosky4ril

Sep 7, 2019
How will your wife finance her life for a year? The fact that both you and you wife are both not in Nigeria adds even more concern that you will not return. You must use your 31K to finish your studies in Malaysia, fly to Canada and Nigeria or elsewhere for your wife, and then pay for your time in Canada. There is no other source of liquid cash that you can access to cover the 2nd year. Selling a plot of land is a hypothetical. Canada has some of the top AI program so they are very competitive to get into. You really need to find a supervisor that will advocate for your acceptances. I would try to contact a wide variety of potential supervisors at different schools. I don't see how you will get accepted based on your current proposed course in college.
Your advise is really helpful. Sincerely, I had made several attempts to obtain a post graduate programs but failed. I will appreciate if you could help me with the potential supervisors. Getting a potential supervisor from a distance seem to be so so challenging otherwise I definitely won't be in this mess. Anyway, I have learnt a lot in the course of this. I had decided before now not to apply anymore till I am able to reasonably clear the point highlighted. Thank you so much for your kindness. Here in my Email chidosky4ril@yahoo.com.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your advise is really helpful. Sincerely, I had made several attempts to obtain a post graduate programs but failed. I will appreciate if you could help me with the potential supervisors. Getting a potential supervisor from a distance seem to be so so challenging otherwise I definitely won't be in this mess. Anyway, I have learnt a lot in the course of this. I had decided before now not to apply anymore till I am able to reasonably clear the point highlighted. Thank you so much for your kindness. Here in my Email chidosky4ril@yahoo.com.
Sorry can’t help you.

chidosky4ril

Sep 7, 2019
Sorry can’t help you.
Thank you so much. Permit me to ask, based on your previous response. How do you advise that I address the situation of my wife and I being in same country ? My wife is on her PhD program here in Malaysia. Should I go back to my home country to apply for study permit should I obtain a PhD offer? I will appreciate your usual advise in addressing this situation. I am working towards obtaining an offer for a PhD program in Canada and I am hoping to achieve that. I look forward to your advise on my concerns. Thank you

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much. Permit me to ask, based on your previous response. How do you advise that I address the situation of my wife and I being in same country ? My wife is on her PhD program here in Malaysia. Should I go back to my home country to apply for study permit should I obtain a PhD offer? I will appreciate your usual advise in addressing this situation. I am working towards obtaining an offer for a PhD program in Canada and I am hoping to achieve that. I look forward to your advise on my concerns. Thank you
Yes your chances are likely better if you are established and have ties to your home country. That will not guarantee a spot in a PhD program or a study permit. You have to make your own decisions. All PhD students should explore options in multiple countries especially since you seem to be determined to leave Nigeria.

Nov 7, 2019
My friend's temporary resident visa application was refused on the following grounds:

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

Could you please deconstruct the meaning of those grounds?

And how can I reply such letter regarding whom to address it to, subject matter and body of the paragraph.