+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa problems, boyfriend is Irish.

marcjacobs

Jun 10, 2010
Thank you for your reply!

He is 100% irish, all his family is here. He could always give his parents address. He came to visit me in the past for 2 weeks and never overstayed. So he could just get a return flight and enough money to support himself. I will be there as well, we are flying back together so I can tell them I am going to support him. I can get a letter from my ex employer saying that I am getting my job back and a letter from my mom (or even on the phone) saying that we will stay at her place until i find a new apartment.
I am not planning on lying, I was just wondering if we should say everything. If they ask the questions, we will answer honestly. We need to wait to send the application because when we will go back, it will only be 11 months that we live together. So we wont have a receipt. Anyways he doesn't have too much stuff to bring so it won't look like he's moving there forever. It should be fine I'd say.

Timmyjayl

Dec 29, 2019
Hi All. Just been reading through your the thread now. I am in the exact same position now. My GF is canadian and I am Irish. We live in London, her visa ends in April and she needs to move home then for family reasons. We will be living together 10 months come April and going out together about 18 months. We are looking at getting the conjugal visa. Also I have used the IEC before so I can't apply again. If you have any information from your experience we would be very grateful if you could share. Thanks, Tim.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hi All. Just been reading through your the thread now. I am in the exact same position now. My GF is canadian and I am Irish. We live in London, her visa ends in April and she needs to move home then for family reasons. We will be living together 10 months come April and going out together about 18 months. We are looking at getting the conjugal visa. Also I have used the IEC before so I can't apply again. If you have any information from your experience we would be very grateful if you could share. Thanks, Tim.
You don’t qualify for conjugal. There are no immigration barriers. You can apply for an eTA and visit in Canada.

Kristianfromcanada

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Conjugal sponsorship is a category for couples that cannot be together due to impossible circumstances that are beyond there control. If you'd like a definite answer to see if you qualify as a conjugal couple you can always call an immigration lawyer or consultant (reputable) for free. Buletruck has suggested some good advice.

Timmyjayl

Dec 29, 2019
You don’t qualify for conjugal. There are no immigration barriers. You can apply for an eTA and visit in Canada.
Thanks for the reply. But are the immigration barriers not the the fact that I can't get a IEC visa and that her visa will expire? I have the eta but I need an actual working visa for Canada. Cheers!

Timmyjayl

Dec 29, 2019
Conjugal sponsorship is a category for couples that cannot be together due to impossible circumstances that are beyond there control. If you'd like a definite answer to see if you qualify as a conjugal couple you can always call an immigration lawyer or consultant (reputable) for free. Buletruck has suggested some good advice.
Thanks for the reply.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Thanks for the reply. But are the immigration barriers not the the fact that I can't get a IEC visa and that her visa will expire? I have the eta but I need an actual working visa for Canada. Cheers!
No, they aren’t. You could simply enter Canada on an eTA when she returns, live together the additional 2 months to meet common law and apply inland with a work permit. Conjugal need to be pretty much insurmountable barriers. The fact you have the eTA pretty much discounts a conjugal application.

Reactions: scylla

Timmyjayl

Dec 29, 2019
No, they aren’t. You could simply enter Canada on an eTA when she returns, live together the additional 2 months to meet common law and apply inland with a work permit. Conjugal need to be pretty much insurmountable barriers.
Okay thanks for the help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No. This will not be regarded as a real immigration barrier. You can get married and there are any number of ways you can live together for a year continusouly to achieve common law status.

Timmyjayl

Dec 29, 2019
No. This will not be regarded as a real immigration barrier. You can get married and there are any number of ways you can live together for a year continusouly to achieve common law status.
We could get married. I can move there on an ETA for 2 months to reach 12 months living together.
Thanks for the reply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
To give some perspective, examples of true conjugal apps where there are legal and immigration barriers preventing both marriage and common-law:

- a same-sex couple where the foreign partner lives in a country where homosexuality is illegal and s/he is unable to get a TRV to even come to Canada as a visitor. They can't marry or live together in either country.

- a foreign partner married to someone else in the Philippines where both adultery and divorce are still illegal and who cannot get a TRV to Canada. As above, they can't marry or live together in either country.

You have zero actual barriers to marrying or become common-law.