+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visa overstay.

Dec 10, 2007
Hi, I am looking for some advice,
I am from the uk and my bf is from canada, i came to canada on a visa waiver, which allows uk citizens to remain in canada as a visitor for 6 months, can someone please tell me what the penalities are for overstaying a visitor visa by a month-2 months. I'd also like to know if you can apply to be sponsored as a partner or a live in caregiver with an expired visa. I know that you will get penalties for overstaying a visa unless you have been unwell..etc, i have been to the hospital around 5 times since i have been here and have the bills to prove it, would i still get in big trouble, it has never been my intention to stay illegally in canada, i'm not sure what to do..any advice would be greatly appriciated,
Thank you, leela.

hypnotic8

Dec 29, 2007
Did they stamp your passport when you came into Canada?
If yes, you are in trouble because you are subject of removal at any time, but you still have a chance to apply for Restoration of Status within 90 days of the expiry of your visa and pay the 200$ fee.
About sponsoring under the family class you have 3 options:
1. if you guys get married
2. as common-laws, but you have to prove that you lived together continuously for at least one year
3. as conjugal partners which is pretty hard to prove (you have to prove solid reasons why you can't get married or live together i.e. religion, culture)