+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa granted for a few months only!!!!!

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
IRCC never cease to amaze me with new lows. Just received my passport today after NINE DAYS for stamping!!!! And those idiots set it to expire in January!!!!

I SPECIFICALLY told them that I need it to visit my wife's family on occasions and requested a long validity.

My passport has like 5 years in it, and my US status is at least until 2021.

WTF is that? And how to call them to yell at someone? Seriously, someone has to be accounted for this idiocy. They didn't even read the application, those morons.

Note: if they were worried about overstaying, I do not know how granting me a visa for months ahead prevent that anyway?....Pure idiocy! I'd have done it if I wanted when I was a broke student.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can request a multiple entry visa but it is up to CIC to determine whether that is what you are granted. You probably weren't granted a multiple entry visa because you are living in a 3rd county and not in your home country. They gave you enough time to visit for typical American holidays when you are most likely to have time off like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Maybe you will be granted a multiple entry visa next time you apply. Just because it doesn't go your way, doesn't mean that it is incorrect or that people are incompetent. Your in-laws can always visit you and your wife if it is easier.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
I'm not going to apply every freaking year. The US give 5 or 10 years regardless so only the Canadians are being so stupid.

It clearly says multiple entry so those morons are really only limiting the time-period.
Also remember that they need to staff the process so applying every 6 months is just stupid & inefficient. When my family came to visit me when I was in Canada they got each like 3 or 5 years and they live in a "suspicious" country, so I'd expect that someone who is established in the US with a long status should be in a better position. Especially that I was already "tested" through my long stay in Canada. There is absolutely no excuse, the morons didn't even bother read the application.

I have other details that highly suggest they didn't even bother read my application, but I'll keep them for anonymity.
I also got replies to my enquiries & nastygrams (including additional unasked for docs) AFTER the approval, and ofc they said nothing about the matter, only one of them said 'send us your passport', the rest have the typical "we received your message, will reply in 28 days".

And seriously, 3 freaking months of processing for THAT?

This process is a complete disaster. No accountability, no transparency. Can't even call them. It's even worse than Europe!!

Seriously, like the US are the most paranoid when it comes to visas yet SOMEHOW they make the decision in 5 minutes.

As for who to travel, well, my wife and I are 2 people. Her extended family are like 15. Easier for us to go than them coming all the way. They are all Canadian so guess who's suffering the most from this stupidity. My father-in-law who had 2 heart attacks before had to do all the work of lifting of heavy objects because it takes a Canadian several months to do a very easy job, so I couldn't be there. Guess who pays for his healthcare? CANADIANS!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If he has 15 family members so I'm sure other people can help him and assume your wife could help if she is Canadian. Actually much easier to get a US visa than Canadian visa.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
IRCC never cease to amaze me with new lows. Just received my passport today after NINE DAYS for stamping!!!! And those idiots set it to expire in January!!!!

I SPECIFICALLY told them that I need it to visit my wife's family on occasions and requested a long validity.

My passport has like 5 years in it, and my US status is at least until 2021.
It was a mistake to state that you'd like to visit multiple times in the future. It's advisable to state one single visit of finite duration. Depending on the assessment + whether the need exists to visit in the future, an applicant can be granted a MEV of longer length. Anyways. What's done, cannot be undone.

I suspect you were issued a TRV for a few months (BTW for how many months?) considering your previous visa history in Canada (which was long-term in the past) + the fact your wife is Canadian (she can apply to sponsor you.... but while we know you will never consider that, IRCC has probably assumed you will go the inland sponsorship route) :)

Yup, we've seen some TRVs of really short validity recently. But, maybe yours could be one of the shortest TRV validity posted on this forum.

Hope it is valid for the exact dates you intend to visit.

Cheer up. Maybe this is a 'test' TRV.... and you will get a longer validity MEV the next time you apply

Last edited:

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
If he has 15 family members so I'm sure other people can help him and assume your wife could help if she is Canadian. Actually much easier to get a US visa than Canadian visa.
Wow...you know, we haven't thought of that! You're such a genius!! Because my wife was helping and suddenly just decided to sit down. And he also called his in-laws and they were all so available that day but decided to stand there and not help him when they heard that I should have been there...!

It was a mistake to state that you'd like to visit multiple times in the future. It's advisable to state one single visit of finite duration. Depending on the assessment + whether the need exists to visit in the future, an applicant can be granted a MEV of longer length. Anyways. What's done, cannot be undone.

I suspect you were issued a TRV for precisely 9 days considering your previous visa history in Canada (which was long-term in the past) + the fact your wife is Canadian (she can apply to sponsor you.... but while we know you will never consider that, IRCC has probably assumed you will go the inland sponsorship route) :)

Yup, we've seen some TRVs of really short validity recently. But, yours is THE shortest TRV validity that's been posted on this forum. A record? :)

Hope it is valid for the exact dates you intend to visit.

Cheer up. Maybe this is a 'test' TRV.... and you will get a longer validity MEV the next time you apply
Hi @Bryanna

Nope, let me amaze you more.

1- This is like my 6th TRV. So definitely no "test".
2- Fear of inland is not a reason, I'll explain in private (I promise, you'll at least like the story. Wish I could share it but I suspect it'll )
3- My wife is Canadian so we can just as easily do the outland anyway. And even if we're moving, I'll do it the economic way most likely, as the prospective employer would offer that (they do in my field).
4- We NEVER ever gave specific dates. Not for me or my parents or anyone. the best i ever gave them was sth like "spring 2018". I will never book a flight without a visa and without a flight I can never have specific plan. And I NEVER gave an itinerary - and never will.
5- We have no specific dates in mind so no biggie. We had a plan for a special ceremony in Canada during memorial day but ofc that's out window now. Those idiots take 3 months to just get to look at applications. My wife was stunned but now she can see for herself why I told her not to book the place....She didn't believe me at first when I told her IRCC will mess it up.