+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa got rejected 2times can I change college and reapply

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
If you've been baking professionally for 4 years and already have several certifications, what could you possibly gain from a college diploma in baking and pastry, that could warrant your decision to spend so much money on it? Did you highlight the express benefits of this diploma (describing the course contents) to your chosen career?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
please is there anything wrong in wanting to change a career path based on previous educational qualifications?
I got rejected for the second time after applying for a college diploma in Baking and Pastry Arts Management. I am a self employed baker in Nigeria with over 4 years work experience and own a registered business. I have several local certificates in baking (informal trainings) but at the same time have a university degree in Political Science.
My university degree seems to be the reason why the VO keeps refusing my applications because my last refusal was simply stated " that my proposed course is not reasonable based on previous studies, language ability, level of establishment ...
I am finding it hard to know how to convince the VO that my proposed study is to advance my Career path in Baking which i have been doing for several years.
Some people have adviced that I have to change my proposed study but this doesnt make sense to me because the course is actually suitable for me to advance my business and career.
Do i have to pick a course i am not interested in just to get a Visa approved? :(
Nothing wrong with changing fields, but why come to Canada to do it?

akeem1234

Mar 18, 2021
If you've been baking professionally for 4 years and already have several certifications, what could you possibly gain from a college diploma in baking and pastry, that could warrant your decision to spend so much money on it? Did you highlight the express benefits of this diploma (describing the course contents) to your chosen career?
All my previous training were informal and basically just the art/practical. Mostly short durations of 2-3 weeks. I didnt breakdown the course outline in my SOP but I mentioned some points.
The management component of the proposed course in Canada is also key for me as it is just specific to baking. International certifications when attached to ones business profile in this part of the world I am drives patronage therefore spending thousands on it is really a worthy investment.

akeem1234

Mar 18, 2021
Nothing wrong with changing fields, but why come to Canada to do it?
Well, for a start I cant get such quality training in my home country. Asides the failing educational system that gives little of no importance to even more demanding courses, for a course like baking I wont get the much practical and hands-on experience needed to advance what I already know.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
All my previous training were informal and basically just the art/practical. Mostly short durations of 2-3 weeks. I didnt breakdown the course outline in my SOP but I mentioned some points.
The management component of the proposed course in Canada is also key for me as it is just specific to baking. International certifications when attached to ones business profile in this part of the world I am drives patronage therefore spending thousands on it is really a worthy investment.
You've made fair points, but can you not do an international course online? This is the question on VO's mind. You know the track record of people from our part of the world wanting to migrate at all cost. If you already have an EE or FSW profile, this might add to the suspicion that you simply want to migrate.

Did you ever get your GCMS notes?

akeem1234

Mar 18, 2021
Changing a career path is fine but officers don’t think you need to come to Canada to take a Baking Management Course. You could probably take such a course online. If you have your own business and certificates, spending thousands to come to Canada makes no sense.
Baking is an art and I dont think it can be properly delivered online. Maybe some components of the course can. Moreso, connectivity to steady and reliable internet is difficult here especially when it would involve streaming or downloading video files.

akeem1234

Mar 18, 2021
You've made fair points, but can you not do an international course online? This is the question on VO's mind. You know the track record of people from our part of the world wanting to migrate at all cost. If you already have an EE or FSW profile, this might add to the suspicion that you simply want to migrate.

Did you ever get your GCMS notes?
No I dont have either of the profiles. My first attempt was this study permit.
No, I didnt request for GCMS notes either. How long will that take if I request?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Baking is an art and I dont think it can be properly delivered online. Maybe some components of the course can. Moreso, connectivity to steady and reliable internet is difficult here especially when it would involve streaming or downloading video files.
Did you write all these points clearly in your SOP?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You applied for a diploma program not a Post-Graduate program when you have a degree. The diploma most likely can be taken right from high school. You said you applied for a Bakery Management course that is not art, it is also business program. You don’t need to spend thousands to come to Canada for it in the VO’s opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

USA_student_to_Canada

Star Member
Oct 31, 2020
Thank you for your interest in studying in Canada. After careful review of your study permit
application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet
the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and
Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can
demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be
accompanied by a new processing fee.

You need to show that you have strong ties back home and you're not coming to Canada just to settle down. So either mention your family/business/property or career goals of starting a business with your degree back in your home country.