+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa for spouse rejected - follow up questions

m0ltarovich

Jan 3, 2014
I am a Canadian citizen and my wife is Ukrainian. We have applied for PR already and the application is in process.

In the meantime we decided to apply for visitor visa. I have applied yesterday and have received a rejection today. The following points were made why it was rejected:

* Length of proposed stay in Canada
* Purpose of visit
* Your current employment situation

Our length of stay was May 13 - Oct 5. It might indeed be too long, so what would be more appropriate duration you think?

Purpose of visit was stated to visit me and also to look at Canada. I mean there is not much to it. Why is this a bad reason?

She is currently unemployed, because I told her to leave her job and I was living with her in Ukraine and supporting her, then we also went traveling for 3 month. I guess this cannot be corrected. But if we fix the other two points, is there a chance to get visa if we re-apply?

Thanks!

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
m0ltarovich said:
I am a Canadian citizen and my wife is Ukrainian. We have applied for PR already and the application is in process.

In the meantime we decided to apply for visitor visa. I have applied yesterday and have received a rejection today. The following points were made why it was rejected:

* Purpose of visit

Our length of stay was May 13 - Oct 5. It might indeed be too long, so what would be more appropriate duration you think?

Purpose of visit was stated to visit me and also to look at Canada. I mean there is not much to it. Why is this a bad reason?

She is currently unemployed, because I told her to leave her job and I was living with her in Ukraine and supporting her, then we also went traveling for 3 month. I guess this cannot be corrected. But if we fix the other two points, is there a chance to get visa if we re-apply?

Thanks!
Did you write down the UCI? Did you included the AOR as supporting document?

What did you send? Please give a detailed list.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
m0ltarovich said:

* Purpose of visit

Thanks!
It is quite common for the PR applicant to be refused a TRV, especially under the circumstances that you describe. I suspect that reapplying will yield identical results, especially as you have had a refusal.

m0ltarovich

Jan 3, 2014
Jalex23 said:
Did you write down the UCI? Did you included the AOR as supporting document?

What did you send? Please give a detailed list.
I am sorry, I am not familiar with these abbreviations. What is UCI and AOR?

zardoz said:
It is quite common for the PR applicant to be refused a TRV, especially under the circumstances that you describe. I suspect that reapplying will yield identical results, especially as you have had a refusal.
Why is that common? I have a friend who is in almost identical situation, except his wife had a job, and his wife just got a visa no problem just a few weeks ago.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
m0ltarovich said:

Why is that common? I have a friend who is in almost identical situation, except his wife had a job, and his wife just got a visa no problem just a few weeks ago.
Because, in the eyes of the visa officer, there is very little holding her to her home country, and therefore is a significant risk of "overstay". A job is a direct tie to a home country and may be enough to tip the balance when it comes to assessing a TRV application. Just search the forum and you will find MANY people that are spousal sponsorship PR applicants that have TRV applications refused...

UCI = Universal Client ID.
AOR = Acknowledgement of Receipt.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
m0ltarovich said:
You aren't? I did it on purpose to see if you were doing all this the proper way. Usually TRV applications attached to an ongoing PR have a high rate success (at least in my experience). If you attached the TRV to the PR you should know what those abbreviations stand for. Also you would have submitted the AOR as part of your explanation letter.

Zardoz has a point here, maybe it is just in my experience and she not having a job is the main cause.

m0ltarovich

Jan 3, 2014
Jalex23 said:
You aren't? I did it on purpose to see if you were doing all this the proper way. Usually TRV applications attached to an ongoing PR have a high rate success (at least in my experience). If you attached the TRV to the PR you should know what those abbreviations stand for. Also you would have submitted the AOR as part of your explanation letter.

Zardoz has a point here, maybe it is just in my experience and she not having a job is the main cause.
Well, the "right way", as I was told by the government employee is to apply for PR, and then apply for a visa once the application is in process. They did not tell me anything about "attaching".

I did however mention in the TRV application that we had a PR application and had provided the application number.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You see a visitor visa does not allow a person TO LIVE in Canada. And for VO it looks like your wife was going to live in Canada waiting for her PR to come.
If you wanted to do that you should first get her a visitor visa and then apply from INSIDE of Canada. You rather applied OUTSIDE of Canada (for her), so now she must finish her process outside of Canada, not inside.

You should NEVER ask for such a LONG time of visit. See above: visit is a visit and not a 6 months stay.

m0ltarovich said:
They did not tell me anything about "attaching".
That's how they work. You did not ask- they did not tell.

I did however mention in the TRV application that we had a PR application and had provided the application number.
It does not matter, they already have all that info and could check it any time.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
m0ltarovich said:
One of the points is "Length of proposed stay in Canada". What is a reasonable length of stay for a visitor?
You could request 2 or 3 weeks?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
m0ltarovich said:
One of the points is "Length of proposed stay in Canada". What is a reasonable length of stay for a visitor?
would probably start with 2-3 months, then apply for an extension while she is there. especially since the summer is coming up, this seems to be more of a logical request. (to me at least!) also, this will give you more time for your application to get further through the system. that way when you apply for an extension, there *may* be a greater chance of her staying more long term. though it probably depends on the country she's from too, as the poster above suggested a much shorter trip.

i've read people attach an itinerary of the trip to prove there are actual plans made. perhaps making an actual reservation for a touristy trip will help too?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would argue that 2-3 weeks is a reasonable vacation for someone with strong ties to their home country (which is what you are trying to prove) - especially if you've already been refused once and length of stay was one of the reasons given. If someone can be away from their home country for 3-6 months, then they really have very little there that's pulling them back.

M

mikeymyke

Never ever apply for a TRV for months on end. You should always request a few weeks, 2-3 weeks sounds reasonable. Because there's a chance the officer will give your wife a longer period of stay. If you ask for less time, your chances improve and you don't need to bring as much money, but if you ask for more time, you're expected to bring more funds, and also run the risk of being rejected for length of proposed stay.

Purpose of visit, you really have to say more than just visit and explore Canada. What are your plans? What places are you going to see? etc

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
mikeymyke said:
Never ever apply for a TRV for months on end. You should always request a few weeks, 2-3 weeks sounds reasonable. Because there's a chance the officer will give your wife a longer period of stay. If you ask for less time, your chances improve and you don't need to bring as much money, but if you ask for more time, you're expected to bring more funds, and also run the risk of being rejected for length of proposed stay.

Purpose of visit, you really have to say more than just visit and explore Canada. What are your plans? What places are you going to see? etc
out of curiousity then, can 2-3 week visas get extensions? Or is that how they avoid the risk of overstays, by only granting short trips?

M

mikeymyke

Oh yeah, you can get extensions. It depends on the officer who's questioning you. If he/she is confident that you have enough funds and you're not an overstay risk, he will grant you an extended period to stay. That's why the odds are in your favor if you just ask for a short stay.