+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa for Russian marriage

Kent

Aug 31, 2011
Hi all. Just wondering, As I posted before I am going to Russia to marry a local woman. Some of my family are travelling with me too. Should we get guest visas or tourist visas? and should we mention in our visa application that it is for my wedding? will this harm are visa approval? should we leave this important detail out? what is the best approach?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry for interrupt you. This is a Canadian immigration forum. Shouldn't you post this question in a "Russian" immigration forum?

XBOX

Sep 27, 2011
Kent said:
Hi all. Just wondering, As I posted before I am going to Russia to marry a local woman. Some of my family are travelling with me too. Should we get guest visas or tourist visas? and should we mention in our visa application that it is for my wedding? will this harm are visa approval? should we leave this important detail out? what is the best approach?
GET A TOURIST VISA AND U NEED TO GET ONLINE RESERVATION FOR MOSCOW, THEY WILL USE HOTEL BUT STAY WHERE U WANT. REGISTER YOUR VISA LOCALLY OR U IN TROUBLE.

Kent

Aug 31, 2011
steaky said:
Sorry for interrupt you. This is a Canadian immigration forum. Shouldn't you post this question in a "Russian" immigration forum?
Is that a rhetorical question? no should not I. I am not immigrating to Russia. She will immigrate to Canada, after we marry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Kent said:
Is that a rhetorical question? no should not I. I am not immigrating to Russia. She will immigrate to Canada, after we marry.
No - I don't think it was a rhetorical question. I was confused by your question as well and thought you were asking about a visa to Russia for yourself and your family to get married there.

Can you provide more details about your plans so that we can answer your questions?

You are Canadian and your future wife is Russian - correct? Do you plan on getting a visitor visa for her (and possibly her family) so that she can travel to Canada and marry here? Or do you plan to go to Russian first and marry there? Do you and your wife have common law status (i.e. have lived together for at least a year) or not? Any other details you can provide would be helpful.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
It sounded to me like you were asking about tourist visas for going to Russia to get married.
I agree with steaky!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Actually, he's quite correct, ALL foreign citizens require visas to enter the Russian Federation. I realise Canadians, Brits and Americans aren't used to this idea, since your passport alone takes you most places, but there are still a few countries that require everyone to get a visa regardless of their origin. The Russian Federation is one of them.

In most of such countries, the process is not as rigourous as say, getting an American visa, sometimes all you need to do is fill in a form and submit it with the correct payment. Going to Cuba requires you to purchase a visa for (last time I went) USD$25 and that was it. Of course, any police person could stop you and ask you for your visa, and you had better be able to present it. Also you had to ensure you submitted it on departure, you were not allowed to leave the country with it or without surrendering it.

OP, I would suggest your family members get tourist visas. These are good for 14-30 days, and require that your family members have booked and confirmed accommodations.

Here's a helpful site: http://www.visatorussia.com/russianvisa.nsf/step2.html

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
I wasn't disputing the fact he might need a visa to go to Russia, only that he was asking in the wrong place.
;D

Kent

Aug 31, 2011
Well maybe we both have misinterpreted our posts. Since part of my Family sponsorship of my future wife includes me travelling to Russia from Canada, for us to marry, I assumed that this forum would be appropriate. Thanks for everyone's help.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
We can help with questions about your wifes immigration to Canada and the process involved.
I don't know anything about applying for Russian tourist visas.
Good luck to you :)