+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa extension???

s1draaa

Aug 15, 2011
I am a U.S. Citizen and my partner lives in Canada. I'm going to live with him in January and I know that I can stay on for 6 months but how do I apply for an extension on my visa so that I can stay for 12 months?

We plan on getting married but we have to apply for the common law partnership visa. I have to live with him for 12 months in order to do that. Is there any way I can show intent to file the common law partnership paperwork so that they approve my visit visa another 6 months?

Shane_Sam

Aug 12, 2011
the best thing would be to consult a legal agent or a Lawyer, i think, they would be the best to advise you accordingly, even though, so far people have been quite helpful , from what i have read in this forum, I am still awaiting a response for my question :( no luck yet
sorry, wish i could help....

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
s1draaa said:
I am a U.S. Citizen and my partner lives in Canada. I'm going to live with him in January and I know that I can stay on for 6 months but how do I apply for an extension on my visa so that I can stay for 12 months?

We plan on getting married but we have to apply for the common law partnership visa. I have to live with him for 12 months in order to do that. Is there any way I can show intent to file the common law partnership paperwork so that they approve my visit visa another 6 months?
You can apply to extend your stay here, no lawyer needed.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

Others will no doubt comment.

Did you receive a VR or a stamp in your passport?

s1draaa

Aug 15, 2011
I wouldn't need a VR stamp would I because I'm from the US so I can stay for 6 months to visit.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
s1draaa said:
I wouldn't need a VR stamp would I because I'm from the US so I can stay for 6 months to visit.
Being from the USA does not prevent an Io from issuing you a VR, if they want to.

Getting a VR is also very good proof of entry to Canada.....

s1draaa

Aug 15, 2011
Would they still give me a VR if I'm staying for six months?

Also what's the likelihood that I could get my visa extended another six months with the intent to apply for a common law partnership visa? My circumstance is that we can't live six months in the US because he has a permanent job in Canada and I am unemployed as well as his parents are more supportive and mine are not.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
s1draaa said:
Would they still give me a VR if I'm staying for six months?

Not usually, but that is up to the IO.

Also what's the likelihood that I could get my visa extended another six months with the intent to apply for a common law partnership visa?
Only a VO can decide that, submit your best evidence.

My circumstance is that we can't live six months in the US because he has a permanent job in Canada and I am unemployed as well as his parents are more supportive and mine are not.

Others will comment...