+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Extension Question

mjw071284

Mar 21, 2015
My partner and I have applied for PR through CEC and recieved AOR in March. We are both on IEC visas but hers is running out in 6 weeks. Mine is valid for another year. She is not eligble for a BOWP as I am the main applicant on the PR application. We had applied to get her permit extended as spouse of a skilled worker but it was sent back last week as we paid the wrong fee and will have to resubmit. Since then I have been temp laid off from work so we wont be able to reapply until I get another job? Is this correct? Is there any other way she can have her permit extended or will I have to try and get a job in the next 6 weeks?

Also has anyone had any success with getting permits extended at the airport? On CEC website it says you are not supposed to do it this way but i have heard of a few people who have and were successful. We are flying to Vegas next month anyway so worth while trying on the way back in if I can get a job by then.

mjw071284

Mar 21, 2015
Just saw this on CEC website

Spouse or common‑law partner and dependants

Certain conditions must be met by the holder of a bridging work permit in order for their spouse or common‑law partner to also be eligible for an open work permit under subparagraph 205(c)(ii) as a spouse or common‑law partner of a skilled worker (see International Mobility Program: Public policy, competitiveness and economy).

For spouses or common-law partners of CEC applicants, there are no set preconditions to be met by the principal CEC applicant.

Does this mean she can get a BOWP as there is no preconditions to be met by me?