+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visa exempt country. how do i extend my stay?

amouresansfrontieres

Oct 24, 2016
in 2017 i will be arriving in canada to be married and applying for PR through the spousal sponsorship program.

i will be applying for an open work permit along with the spousal visa application.

i am from the uk which is a visa exempt country. as such, how does that effect the application for an extension to stay? i won't be extending my tourist visa as i will not have one. is the application for the OWP sufficient to maintain legal status?

i understand that with an application for an OWP i will have implied status during the application process so would the OWP preempt the need to extend my stay through other channels ie extending my stay as a tourist?

wishing you all a very merry christmas. may 2017 bring us all closer together with our loved ones. here's to a speedy, uncomplicated application process for you all.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
amouresansfrontieres said:
in 2017 i will be arriving in canada to be married and applying for PR through the spousal sponsorship program.

i will be applying for an open work permit along with the spousal visa application.

i am from the uk which is a visa exempt country. as such, how does that effect the application for an extension to stay? i won't be extending my tourist visa as i will not have one. is the application for the OWP sufficient to maintain legal status?

i understand that with an application for an OWP i will have implied status during the application process so would the OWP preempt the need to extend my stay through other channels ie extending my stay as a tourist?

wishing you all a very merry christmas. may 2017 bring us all closer together with our loved ones. here's to a speedy, uncomplicated application process for you all.
Traditional first advice would be: Apply outland, which could give you full PR from the UK in less time (if it gets sent to Ottawa) or not much more time (if sent to London) than just getting the OWP does through an inland application. But with the changes from Dec 15, we no longer know how relevant any of that is.

You will arrive on visitor status, and if you do not get a work permit before the visitor status expires (UK citizens normally get 6 months), you must apply online to extend it, which costs $100. Merely filing for the OWP is not adequate.

amouresansfrontieres

Oct 24, 2016
thank you. i have heard it suggested that inland and outland will be merged. i don't see how processing times for inland can be reduced from approximately 27 months to 12 months without a significant input of resources and officers looking at applications. just changing the application procedure alone couldn't reduce the time it has taken to process inland. we should all meet up again after that date to discuss this.

number1dan

Dec 12, 2016
Hi, Im in the exact same situation. I'm from the UK and have applied foo PR inland with OWP as well. According to cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/inland.asp the way i read it if you've applied for PR and OWP then that counts as applying to extend your stay and you have implied status until a decision on your work permit is made.

Feel free to correct me if I've misinterpreted.