+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa consultant forgot to update marital status before getting landing paper

tirthp

May 2, 2020
My visa consultant forgot to update my marital status before receiving my landing paper, I was landed Canada on Sep 2019 for collecting my PR card, at the time of immigration, the officer asked my material status, It was mentioned "Single" in my COPR but I said "Married", thus the officer asked me few questions & said this is a big miss, you need to inform CIC for any type of changes, then he manually updated "Married" in my COPR with his signature & date.

So my question is If I apply for my spouse PR under family immigration will there be problems or is there any point I have to take care? As Immigration officer manually updated my status in COPR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My visa consultant forgot to update my marital status before receiving my landing paper, I was landed Canada on Sep 2019 for collecting my PR card, at the time of immigration, the officer asked my material status, It was mentioned "Single" in my COPR but I said "Married", thus the officer asked me few questions & said this is a big miss, you need to inform CIC for any type of changes, then he manually updated "Married" in my COPR with his signature & date.

So my question is If I apply for my spouse PR under family immigration will there be problems or is there any point I have to take care? As Immigration officer manually updated my status in COPR.
Unfortunately you don’t qualify to sponsor your spouse. Your wife needed to go through background checks and a medical and be included in your PR application. Updating your status to married isn’t enough. You should have been told not to land. An error by a consultant is still considered your responsibility. On the COPR it says to update CIC on any changes to your family composition.

tirthp

May 2, 2020
Unfortunately you don’t qualify to sponsor your spouse. Your wife needed to go through background checks and a medical and be included in your PR application. Updating your status to married isn’t enough. You should have been told not to land. An error by a consultant is still considered your responsibility. On the COPR it says to update CIC on any changes to your family composition.
Thanks for the reply but if I complete all the mandetory process + background checks & medical etc. Than is it possible to get PR for my spouse ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply but if I complete all the mandetory process + background checks & medical etc. Than is it possible to get PR for my spouse ?
No. You were legally required to declare your spouse and add them to your app BEFORE landing. Failure to do so (and that was 100% your responsibility, not the consultant's) was misrepresentation and means that your spouse is excluded from the Family Class and can't be sponsored.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately it is not possible. It was mandatory that you add your spouse to your application before landing and becoming a PR. Adding your spouse to your application would have involved submitting new forms / paperwork, having your spouse complete and pass the medical, having your spouse provide PCCs and pass the security and background check, etc. All this needed to happen before you landed and became a PR. Unfortunately it's too late now and your spouse is excluded from being sponsored by you.

Your spouse will need to qualify for PR on their own through an economic immigration program like Express Entry.

Maya2106

Jun 23, 2021

Hello Tirth,

Will you please share an update on your case, look like I am also in the same boat. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,