+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa approved 1st time, rejected 2nd time

Raavann92

Jun 14, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am an Indian national. I was enrolled in M.Eng. Industrial at University of Windsor in May 2017. During my Fall semester 2017, I failed in two subjects and was required to withdraw. I got the expulsion mail on January 31st, 2018. During that time I lost my passport in Windsor and got a new reissued from Toronto. My student visa validity was till 31st December, 2018. Due to family reasons I returned back to India in February 2018. I got enrolled in PAM-1 course in Fanshawe College for September 2018 intake. I applied for a study permit on 30th April, 2018. This application was rejected in June 2018. The reasons being that I will not leave Canada after my study ( which in fact I did in Feb 2018) and the other reason being that my chosen course isn't reasonable. I have applied for CAIPS note. I am at the end of my wits. I had shown a fund of CAD 60,000. Why do you think my visa was rejected? Is there any chances it will get approved the next time. Please guide me.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So what are your current qualifications and what exactly is the PAM-1 course ? Given you were no longer in full time education after end January then you had no reason to stay and your study permit anyway would have been at some point been cancelled once the Uni had reported you.

Raavann92

Jun 14, 2018
So what are your current qualifications and what exactly is the PAM-1 course ? Given you were no longer in full time education after end January then you had no reason to stay and your study permit anyway would have been at some point been cancelled once the Uni had reported you.

My current qualification is B.Eng. Mechanical with 7.16 CGPA and 2 backlogs. My IELTS score is 7.5 bands with no less than 6.5.

Exactly, I had no reason to stay so I returned back on 12th Feb, 2018. PAM-1 Practical Elements of Mechanical Engineering-1. Its an Ontario Graduate certificate course of 1 year.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My current qualification is B.Eng. Mechanical with 7.16 CGPA and 2 backlogs. My IELTS score is 7.5 bands with no less than 6.5.

Exactly, I had no reason to stay so I returned back on 12th Feb, 2018. PAM-1 Practical Elements of Mechanical Engineering-1. Its an Ontario Graduate certificate course of 1 year.
You are facing two main challenges: (1) You previously came to Canada on a study permit and didn't complete your studies. IRCC is likely concerned you aren't a genuine / serious student; (2) Your new program does not make sense in light of your previous education - the program you plan to take is a lower level of education than your Bachelor degree. You should take a Post Graduate program instead.

Reactions: Raavann92

Raavann92

Jun 14, 2018
You are facing two main challenges: (1) You previously came to Canada on a study permit and didn't complete your studies. IRCC is likely concerned you aren't a genuine / serious student; (2) Your new program does not make sense in light of your previous education - the program you plan to take is a lower level of education than your Bachelor degree. You should take a Post Graduate program instead.
Pardon me. My program is a post-graduate certificate course as described in my offer letter. My visa stamp had a validity till 31st December, 2018. Also, I had 3 months after I got my expulsion e-mail from the University on 31st January, 2018.

I do understand that my failure can be a concern. Wouldn't my previous academics provide any proof regarding my credibility as a genuine student?
Yes, I failed but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to pursue further education. How can I explain this to CHC?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Pardon me. My program is a post-graduate certificate course as described in my offer letter. My visa stamp had a validity till 31st December, 2018. Also, I had 3 months after I got my expulsion e-mail from the University on 31st January, 2018.

I do understand that my failure can be a concern. Wouldn't my previous academics provide any proof regarding my credibility as a genuine student?
Yes, I failed but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to pursue further education. How can I explain this to CHC?
OK - that's good is a post graduate program.

You need to write a very strong SOP to explain why you were unable to complete your previous studies in Canada and why you now want to pursue a lower level of study in Canada (vs. your previous studies in Canada). I think you should also explain why you remained in Canada until February when you were no longer attending school. Hopefully you weren't working in January or February.

Raavann92

Jun 14, 2018
OK - that's good is a post graduate program.

You need to write a very strong SOP to explain why you were unable to complete your previous studies in Canada and why you now want to pursue a lower level of study in Canada (vs. your previous studies in Canada). I think you should also explain why you remained in Canada until February when you were no longer attending school. Hopefully you weren't working in January or February.
Isn't there a law that I have 3 months to leave Canada after my study permit expires/cancels?
I know I'm in deep trouble but do you think I have a fighting chance? I have been approaching many consultants but none of them seem to have a clue.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Isn't there a law that I have 3 months to leave Canada after my study permit expires/cancels?
I know I'm in deep trouble but do you think I have a fighting chance? I have been approaching many consultants but none of them seem to have a clue.
No - there's no law that you have three months to leave Canada after your study permit expires or is canceled. This is a common misunderstanding. If you weren't working in January or February - then you should be in pretty good shape. If you worked during either or both of these months - that will certainly decrease your chances of success.

There's always a chance of approval. You have to make a very strong case given you already came to Canada once and failed to complete your studies - and are now taking a lower level of education than previously planned.

Also note that the PAM-1 program doesn't give you a very high chance at all of qualifying for PR afterwards since it's only a 1 year program and will only give you a 1 year PGWP. If your end objective is PR, you want to take a program that is 2 years.

Raavann92

Jun 14, 2018
No - there's no law that you have three months to leave Canada after your study permit expires or is canceled. This is a common misunderstanding. If you weren't working in January or February - then you should be in pretty good shape. If you worked during either or both of these months - that will certainly decrease your chances of success.

There's always a chance of approval. You have to make a very strong case given you already came to Canada once and failed to complete your studies - and are now taking a lower level of education than previously planned.

Also note that the PAM-1 program doesn't give you a very high chance at all of qualifying for PR afterwards since it's only a 1 year program and will only give you a 1 year PGWP. If your end objective is PR, you want to take a program that is 2 years.
I have taken two courses. The other course is Applied Mechanical Design-2 which also of 1 year.

I was working in January as I got the email from the University in the last week. There was no intimation from the University before that. I didn't work after I got that e-mail.

My documents and other stuff alongwith my passport was lost so I had to settle everything before I leave during February.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have taken two courses. The other course is Applied Mechanical Design-2 which also of 1 year.

I was working in January as I got the email from the University in the last week. There was no intimation from the University before that. I didn't work after I got that e-mail.

My documents and other stuff alongwith my passport was lost so I had to settle everything before I leave during February.
Were you on an official break in January? Was everyone else in your program on a break during this time as well? If so - then you may be OK.

Raavann92

Jun 14, 2018
Were you on an official break in January? Was everyone else in your program on a break during this time as well? If so - then you may be OK.
I wasn't on a break. I registered in the winter semester and started attending classes. But I pulled couple of shifts which were allowed as per my permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wasn't on a break. I registered in the winter semester and started attending classes. But I pulled couple of shifts which were allowed as per my permit.
Then you're OK on the working front.

Raavann92

Jun 14, 2018
Then you're OK on the working front.
I have applied for CAIPS note.

So just a strong SOP will work? I'm skeptical whether they read the SoP. Also, there isn't any justification for my failure. Tough choice of subjects. But again any justification I provide can be viewed as an excuse.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have applied for CAIPS note.

So just a strong SOP will work? I'm skeptical whether they read the SoP. Also, there isn't any justification for my failure. Tough choice of subjects. But again any justification I provide can be viewed as an excuse.
No - there's no guarantee a strong SOP will work unfortunately.

Definitely wait for your notes before you reapply.

Raavann92

Jun 14, 2018
No - there's no guarantee a strong SOP will work unfortunately.

Definitely wait for your notes before you reapply.
Even if I get all the points in the CAIPS note covered there's no guarantee of approval. Failure while studying shouldn't have such extreme consequences. What can I do to strengthen my profile? Will admission in a Master's program do any good?